Wireless Router setup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hey guys I currently have dsl 3.0mbps
Im goint to have 2 pc's in my house so therefore I wanted to go wireless.
I purchased the Linksys Wiresless -G- WRT54GL router.

I followed the instructions step by step.ONe it got to the part where i had to power it on and check the lights it started to load something.
After it was loading something an error popped up...like a shutdown error.
I tried doing it over and over and same error.

I mean the internet still works, but how to set up my options, so i can have a wireless password and change the username for it,etc etc.

Are they serparate vista drivers or something?

what do you mean?

I have a dsl and i wanted it to go wireless so i could have internet on the pc upstairs.

So i bought this.
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail

I followed the step, lik from the cd.

I dont know how to manager the router since the setup keeps exiting with an error.

But for somereason im still able to use the internet with all the cabled in....

i want to be able to configure my router so random ppl dont use it.

Are you trying to connect to the router to do configuration? If this is the initial config it usually has to be done using a wired connection. Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and see what it tells you. You should get an IP address, DNS info, gateway, etc. The gateway is your router. Open a web browser and type in the IP address of your gateway. eg: http://192.168.1.1
That will connect you to the router and you SHOULD need to provide a username/password.

...im kinda lost.
I've never setup wireless before...im confused.

Maybe i didnt explain properly...

When i got the router, this is what i had to do for the instructions.
Plug the ethernet from my dsl box to the router. Then plug the blue ethernet wire into the back of the pc and to the router.Then power it on. Then it asks me to click next, then it starts loading something, once it gets to 100 percent it shuts down with an error.
Im using vista ultimate.

Do i have to uninstall my onboard first? Im sooo confused.

edit:
I checked newegg for reviews hoping someone had the same problem and bingo!!!
"Auto installation software failed at step seven. Had to call technical support and wait on hold for ever to get router installed"

Ill call them when i get home from work.

I hope this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom