Wireless Router Question !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentucky

Solid State Member
A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54Gs Router and said that he couldn't get it to work. I finally got around to it and realized that I was unable to access the routers configuration screen despite trying the IP address that was listed in the manual. I have done the hard reset several time to no avail. It functions well as a wired router but no wireless. Is there anything I could try to atleast get into the routers interface?

The friend says that this is how it has been since he had bought it a while back, but thought that he wasn't doing something right. Any suggestions appreciated. TY

When you say unable to access, what do you mean?

Does it prompt you for a username and passoword?

What are you trying to "access" it with?

When you have your computer's NIC plugged into a LAN port on the router, and you do an IPCONFIG via command prompt, what do you see?

By unable to access, I mean that when I type the Ip address that that I got through IPconfig, I don't get a prompt to enter a usernameor password.

I tried the traditional 192.168.1.1 in firefox and nothing happened. I tried IPconfig and it gave me a different IP address than the one stated, but again it doesn't bring up a prompt.

I don't remember exactly what IPconfig brought up, so I will redo it and repost. TY

When it runs, try to unplug it and plug in back in several times. Then leave it unplugged for 10 minutes and try to turn it on. Also, press and hold the reset button while you start unplugging and plugging.

ipconfig gave me an IP address an IP address that starts with 66.176.###.# , but it still doesn't present the prompt to log in to the router.

I will try yuor method peter. TY

The IP address that IP config gave you is the IP that your ISP gave to you. Not the one assigned by your router. You router shoudl be 192.168.x.x or 127.0.x.x for your IP. Which shows me that your PC has not registered that you have a router hooked up.

Turn off the PC. Unplug the router. Unplug your modem. Then plug in the router, then the modem. Then start your PC. Should then register that you ahve a router hooked up.

I tried the steps as described above by peterhuang but it still didn't work.

I also realised that Makaveli was right in that the ipconfig was giving the IP address of my ISP and not the router. I tried he pointed out also, but still to no avail.

Thanks for the suggestions, but is there anything else i could try. at this point anything would be fair game.

There has to be something wrong with your router setup. Have you checked all the documentation? There has to be something in there that tells you how to set it up to be used. Unplugging the Modem, Router and turning off the PC for at least 1 minute should have given you the router hookup at least.

You will have to check the documentation or the manufacturer website.

I tried online chat with a Linksys Tech. and he stated that it needs to be replaced. Thanks for all the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom