Wireless router only allowing 'local' access

Status
Not open for further replies.

comradec

Solid State Member
I had a Belkin 54g wireless router (for cable broadband), which was working fine until recently when it disappeared from the list of available networks. After finding that my internet connection itself was fine and that a wired connection to the router worked, I concluded its wireless transmission must have stopped working (five years on since I originally bought the unit).

So I purchased a replacement, this time going for Belkin's N+ Wireless Router.

However, although the N+ router does now show in the list of available networks, I can only get a 'local' connection to it, meaning it is not accessing the internet. This same issue is reproduced on three different computers running both Windows Vista SP1 and Windows XP SP3.

I've followed all the step-by-step instructions and tried both automatic setup using the install disk and manual configuration via the so-called web-based advanced user interface. I've tried several types of encryption key and also tried using the router with an unsecured network, just to see if an internet connection could be achieved that way. I've rebooted and reset both the router and the modem in different sequential orders on a number of occasions.

There is no new electrical equipment in our house that could be interfering with the signal. Obviously, I can't say whether that's true of everyone in the street too, but the fact that the router is showing as an available network would suggest that's not the problem in this instance.

Can anyone suggest something I might not have tried yet?

I've got a cable broadband connection with VirginMedia (formerly NTL) in the UK.

I'm assuming you have the obvious out of the way, have you tried plugging directly into the router to see if it will pass traffic? also have you verified that your cable modem is still passing traffic by directly connecting to it?

I'm assuming you have the obvious out of the way, have you tried plugging directly into the router to see if it will pass traffic? also have you verified that your cable modem is still passing traffic by directly connecting to it?

Yes, I've plugged the computer directly into the cable modem and I'm able to access the internet through it.

And I've plugged the computer directly into the router (i.e. a wired connection) and I'm able to access the internet that way too. Indeed, that's how I'm connected right now to post this message.

But no joy when trying to get wireless internet access. I'm able to find the router in the list of potential networks but can only achieve local access. That happens both when I have a security encryption key set up and when I try to use it unsecured.

try seeing if you can disconnect your wired computer from the router, still leaving the modem and router connected, then see if you can get wireless access. could just be a faulty router. also try updating the firmware if there's a newer version available.

Now you said you got an N+ router - does it specifically say A/B/G compatible? Your equipment may very well be speaking "different languages". If your computer's wireless technology is only B/G then it won't successfully connect to an N...

also, check and see if you can "ping out" try to ping your router over the wireless first, and if that works, then ping google.

Okay so I scoured the internet for an anwser to this question everywhere...this may not be the solution to all but heres what I did....
I was trying to get 2 computers to where I could use them together (print from 1 to the other etc.) with the wireless. While online trying to figure this out I went into the properties of my Local Area Network...
This is all fine...except
I went to (Local Area Connections)....(right click)....(properties)....under (this connection uses the following items) i highlighted the (TCP/IP) and (clicked properties). I then switched from (automatically obtain) to (use the following) there. Make sure they are on (automatically obtain)...if you're a dummy like me... Switched em back on both computers and Wam...im online here on my desktop and my laptop too! No more Local Access only. Thank God!
P.S. I may never be back here again...sure its a great place...but...I seriously spent from 11am to 4 pm on this and no one had an answer... Im sure this may not work for everyone...but if you're like me...It's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom