wireless router .....help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

davemcc

Beta member
I recently set up a wireless router at home. My laptop can detect the router but i can't get the internet. I tried everything that i could but still no internet. I have service pack 2. I don't know if that matters or not. Someone please help me figure out what to do. Its probably something simple but i can't figure it out.

What brand of wireless router do you have? for testing purposes, until you get the internet working, disable the windows xp firewall. you can re-enable it later if you'd like.

if you can only ping inside your lan from all machines, then you'll want to hunt through your router config looking for status info for your WAN (Inet) connection. You should find a global (ISP) ip address somewhere in the config.

Try releasing and/or renewing the global ip address. Try power cycling your router and modem.

lol......i do this all the time. i try the "one-step-at-a-time" approach and then someone posts right after me with an "all-in-one" conclusion. hehehe
thanks csamuels ....... for cuttin' right to the chase ;)

were the computers attached to the router able to access the internet before? if so.....what changed?

shut down the modem (unplug it) and unplug the router. After this is down, shut down one computer. When the computer totally shuts down, plug the cable modem back in. Let the modem stay on for 1 minute without doing anything else. after 1 minute, plug in the router. after 30 seconds of the router being on, turn on the computer. try to connect now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom