wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnboy007

Solid State Member
Hi, can anyone please help... I am using a belkin wireless router with my laptop, but every time I switch it on it connects to another person router in the area using the same channel 11 as myself under the wireless lan configeration. I therefore have to go to the wireless connection page and click on change advanced settings and then under wireless networks tick the box beside "use windows to configure my wireless network setrtings", to get my laptop to recognise and connect to my router. I have to go through this every time I switch on.

Surely this is not correct, can anyone tell me whatis wrong and how I can rectify this problem.

If you disconnect from your neighbors network youll get a warning saying windows will not automatically connect to that network anymore, click ok and it should stop connecting to that network.

thanks bruce 4 reply, as a novice I am not altogether sure how to disconnect from my neighbours network router, can you let me know how.

Thanks John

Right click on the wireless network icon on the bottom right and select "View Available Wireless Networks". You'll see your neighbor's wireless network, if it says Connected* then highlight it and click Disconnect on the bottom right.

On the left, click on "Change advanced settings", the adapter properties window pops up, now go to the Wireless Network tab, in the preferred networks section, if your neighbor's wireless network is there, remove it. Remove any other network listed there except for yours.

While still at the preferred networks section, if you see your wireless network, select it and click Properties. Go to the Connection tab and check "Connect when this network is in range" so when ever your computer starts up it will connect to your network automatically.

Now go tell your neighbor that his wireless network is a nuisance, and that he should visit this website http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

;)

Thanks 4 that. Unfortunatly all i get in the wireless network connection window is a message saying "windows cannot configuer this network connection....if you want windows to configure the wireless connection, change the advanced connection settings by selecting the check box labelled "use windows to configure my wireless connection". As I said before this I have to do every time I switch on, which is a pest.

Any ideas.......???

Kind of....

You might have install another wireless management software, maybe the one that came with your wireless adapter. You need to use that or uninstall it if you want to use Windows management.

Right, I have found out that when I log off although the light on my router showing a internet connection should go out in fact does`nt, does this mean my neighbour is using my router all the time for his/her own gain without payingfor their own internet subscriber?.

That's why you need to secure your wireless router, as of matter of fact, the router probably has logs to show which computer MAC to IP are connected.

Different vendors do different things, my netgear access point doesn't turn the light off when my laptop is off, but that doesn't mean there's someone using it, it just mean the access point still has power ;)

Thanks for your time, am still no nearer to solving this problem, dont know enough to be able to sort it out, but am gratefull for your time, John..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom