wireless question

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedogg42

Baseband Member
here is my situation

i have one comp. downstairs directly connected to my linksys WRT54G which is connected to my cable modem

i have 2 computers upstairs that i want to connect wirelessly to the WRT54G (to get internet access) without having to add wireless cards for each comp. what is the easiest way to do this?
(i will add more computers upstairs so I would rather wire them to something like a router that could send the signal to my other router, this would be cheaper in the long run than buying new wireless cards for all soon to be 4 computers upstairs)

can 2 linksys WRT54G routers connect to each other wirelessly...I have read that they can't (only with direct ethernet cable)....can a bridge work to connect one signal to the other so that they can communicate/use internet?

i would like to use linksys stuff so....this is the bridge im thinking of (WAP54G) http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=505&scid=35

and would this WET54GS5 be able to take the place of the 2nd router that would be upstairs AND the bridge to connect my PCs to my first router wirelessly (the WAP54G does not have 10/100 ethernet ports to connect my computers into but it appears that the WET54GS5 does)

I know the WAP54G costs about as much (even a little more according to most sites) than a freakin wireless router but I have no idea the cost of the WET54GS5 (looking when I finish this)

keep in mind that i must keep the first router at its current location because that is the only place the cable modem can be and stringing wires through the house is impractical for my situation....

i hope im making sense....

prices (first I found not the best):

BEST BUY:
WMP54G (wireless desktop cards) = $50.00
WRT54G (wireless router) = $70.00
WAP54G (wireless access point (bridge)) = $80.00

i can't seem to find the WET54GS5 at any retailers like best buy/circuit city/compusa.... prices on the internet range from $135 to 200$ which is about the cost of the 2nd router + the WAP54G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom