wireless problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems that the preamble is only for b, i am g.

i have changed the channel from 11 to 1, and it has not done it yet... ~crosses fingers~

i am using WPA-PSK security.

You probably mean data rate mode which is at B and yea it should be at G unless your router is a 802.11b, however B will work with G card but you will only get about 11Mbps throughput.

What I meant by preamble type was how the signal was set to behave like for example is it set for "long" for longer distances or was it set to "short" for more performance or "mix" as both.

Yea definitely change the channel to test if it will keep the connection stable.

WPA-PSK is ok if your card supports it, it is probably since you can go online. Make sure you use TKIP on the client side because this version of WPA only uses the TKIP algorithm.

Have you found any setting on your wireless adapter in device manager?

it has:

802.11 authentication type: auto
802.11b preamble: long and short
map registers: 256
network address: not present
power save mode: off
radio on/off: on
transmit power: 100%

EDIT: you keep referring to 'card', i dont know if it makes a difference, but they are both Belkin USB2.0 108G wireless adaptors.

It looks ok on the client side, I would just leave it as it is.

Yea those two word get mix all the time, network card...network adapter. Your card is ok LOL.

the channel change didnt work...

any other ideas?

(offtopic, i may possibly have the option of doing cisco networking at college, you recommend it?)

if i have the option of A+ OR cisco networking, which do you think would be best?

i mean, i can already build computers, but i can't do networking at all... hence this thread. i am thinking cisco.

You can always go to your local computer store and buy a book and get A+ certified in 1 month there isn't much you will do in class that you can't do on your own computer.

If you go to cisco class you have access to cisco devices that isn't available to students who aren't enrolled. Cisco devices are expensive, after my CCNA course ended I had to rely on software like Network Visualizer. Didn't have the money to buy a cisco device, let alone just to practice on it. You'll get a voucher which will let you take the exam for 50% off the price. And I'm pretty sure you'll have a good instructor who will answer all your cisco questions.

I like the book for A+ idea. Do you have to take some form of exam, and if I went the book way, how would i go about sorting out an exam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom