Wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitzi

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

Basically I've come home for the weekend and our wireless connection isn't working.

We have one main PC (my one) which is using a wired connection. There is one other PC using the wireless connection. I thought it might have just been this PC but I've tried my laptop as well which is giving the same message.

When you are in the "Connect to a network" section, our home network shows up however there's a red X where the signal strength should be. It says "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network."

When I tried to diagnose the problem it said "Incorrect Security Type". Currently the security type is set to "No Authentication(Open)" and the encryption type is set to WEP. I've in putted the network security key but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've tried basic stuff like rebooting the router (I used to work on a helpdesk, this ALWAYS seemed to work :-( ) and the laptop but that failed. I've googled it but to be honest it was a bit greek to me :-\

The router was provided by our ISP. Do ye think this is more a problem for them rather than something I'd be able to fix myself?? Any help is appreciated!

Well it is giving a signal since you can see the router. Sounds like the settings or WEP key has been changed or maybe became corrupt.

What I would do is log into the router and change that encryption type to WPA or WPA2 (WEP can be hacked in less than 1 hour) then make your own encryption key. After that I would change your SSID name and mask it (just incase someone actually hacked the router and changed the settings). After that change the admin password to the router.

Then put all of those settings into the laptop on the network and see if that resolves the issue.

Well it is giving a signal since you can see the router. Sounds like the settings or WEP key has been changed or maybe became corrupt.

What I would do is log into the router and change that encryption type to WPA or WPA2 (WEP can be hacked in less than 1 hour) then make your own encryption key. After that I would change your SSID name and mask it (just incase someone actually hacked the router and changed the settings). After that change the admin password to the router.

Then put all of those settings into the laptop on the network and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I've just tried to log into the router there but it's asking me for a username and password and I have absolutely no idea what that would be. Our ISP would've just come to the house, stuck the router in, made sure it worked and that would've been it. We were definitely never provided with that.

Is that the only way of resolving the issue from my end do you think?

You could uninstall and reinstall the router software that came with your router, and then provide new credentials at that point.

You could uninstall and reinstall the router software that came with your router, and then provide new credentials at that point.

This could be a really stupid thing to say (apologies in advance), but I'm not sure if software came with it?? :facepalm: Forgive me, I was away when the router was put in and my parents wouldn't have a clue.

If someone from the provider installed it then probably not. You could call then and help you reset your credentials, then you could change the username and password to whatever you want after that.

Okay, I managed to log into the router. Username and password were blank.

I'm looking at the Wireless Security section which has WPA encryption enabled. It has a WPA Pre-shared key in the text box however that's all stared out so I don't know what that is.

WEP Encryption is disabled which I can't understand because that's all we've ever used. It's all greyed out too so I'm not able to enable it.

EDIT:

I've changed the security type on the settings to WPA-Personal, and now the network is displaying signal strenght and appears as if nothing is wrong until I try to connect and it says I have the incorrect network security key. Tried entering in our previous WEP code but that obviously didn't work (clutching at straws!!).

Is it possible the ISP changed these settings without telling us??

Could have updated the fireware on all of their equipment, making disabling WEP because it is a security risk. And since they are the ones providing it they could be held responsible.

Why haven't you tried what i suggested? Enable WPA, create the passcode, the enter that when connecting to the wireless.

Please do what i suggested in the first place, enable WPA, then create the key for it, write that down and enter it when connecting to the network. You may have to manually connect if it isn't giving you an encryption option on the laptop when connecting.

By all means, try Lex's approach first (@ Lex:I thought the OP had possibly tried this). If that doesn't work, then you could try my suggestion.

Hi guys,

Success! WPA had already been enabled so I'm wondering did the ISP do that. Not sure but I changed the PSK to my own and everything connected okay. After learning so much this evening!!

Thanks so much for your help :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom