Wireless Network with Server Setup - Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VolLRB

Beta member
I'm a newbie when it comes to networks. I'm fairly ok with most other stuff tho. Here's my very basic question (please don't laugh). I have a small office (2 pcs, 1 laptop). I currently have a Netgear Rangemax router between my DSL modem and the computers. All the computers are currently sharing the router for internet access (laptop via cable and both pc's via wireless). I have just purchased a Netgear switch and a Windows Small Business 2003 server. The goal is to not only all access internet via the wireless, but also to access the server for sharing files, etc. via the wireless. I'm stuck at the very beginning...setting up the proper configuration of switch, server, router, pc's, etc. to ensure both internet and server access wirelessly. I assumed it would go DSL modem, switch, server, router, computers, but then wasn't sure about how to go from the switch to the server and then to the router with only one ethernet port on the server. Once again, I know this is probably an elementary question, but wanted to get it right the first time instead of wasting time. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

For starters, you have the setup of your equipment incorrect.

You will most likely want it to go: (from top to bottom)

DSL modem
|
router
|
switch (unless you router has multiple ports on it)
|
computers & server

Does your server only need to be accessed from within your network? Otherwise that will make things slightly more interesting.

But, start with that then you'll find most of your other issues with connectivity may sort themselves out.

Thanks! I'll start with the recommended config and see if that sorts it all out.

I noticed you indicated the switch as (unless your router has multiple ports on it). It does have multiple ports. Does that mean I don't actually need the switch?

And we only need access to the server from within the network.

That being the case, if your router has enough LAN ports for your network, you won't need the switch. Having the server connected to a LAN port on the router will be ok for LAN traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom