Wireless Network Range + WAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaketone

Solid State Member
I just purchased the new Linksys WRT300N Wireless-N Broadband Router .

Its advertisement claimed, MIMO technology uses multiple radios to create a robust signal that travels up to 4 times farther and reduces dead spots. For this reason, I purchased it, since I am hoping to broadcast my signal around the 375-400ft range where another computer/wireless card is located.

Unfortunatly around the 275/325ft mark the signal dies (I took my laptop outside and walked around until the signal was lost to determine its current range). Because I live in an apartment complex, trying to setup my wireless router so that it doesn't 'interfere' with other buildings is impossible. So I read that purchasing a Repeater/Access Point can help me in getting the signal 400ft away.

My 1st question:
At around the 275-350ft mark is my friends apartment. Can I buy and setup a Repeater/Access Point in his apartment? I hope that in doing so the main computer I am trying to broadcast my wireless internet to will then beable to find and connect to the signal.

My 2nd question:
What brand Repeater/Access Point do you recommend?

My 3rd question:
What would I need to do to setup a Repeater/Access Point?
And would I have to change anything on my main Wireless Router?

My 4th question:
I read about the 'cantenna' and other home-made antenna setups which have helped increase signal strength for on the receiving end.
Can I use this same idea only in reverse? Place it on my Wireless Routers antennae and assume that this will help it broadcast its signal further? And the same goes for Repeater/Access Points?

My 5th question:
In theory, could I purchase 20 Repeater/Access Points and set them up one after the other, each within the the others range, and would this then then continue my signal for as long as I have Repeater/Access Points setup to? Or does it eventually just become too far away?

To take advantage of 802.11n, you need a card that supports 802.11n also.

1) Yes you can purchase a repeater, it'll help amplify the signal, giving you greater distance, but it doesnÂ’t guarantee all will go well. Wireless connections are unreliable.

3) What is needed for the repeater to operate is the MAC address of the router, and the router to allow the repeater.

Law,

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunatly I've only found 802.11n cards for notebooks, and not desktop pc configurations. :(

How would I "allow" the repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom