Wireless network question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skormm

Baseband Member
Ok, I'm usually pretty good with tech, but I'm not quite sure if I set this up right.

I set up my wireless router and I used a WEP 64 bit 10 hex security, and it generated 4 keys for it. I assumed at first that they were for 4 different computers, but when I tried using any except for the 1st key, it does not work. I currently am using the 1st key for 2 computers (and I'm on a wired connection to the same router). My question is this, is the 1st key just the one you're supposed to use by default for every computer on the network? If so, what are the other keys for?

yeah but some older routers only have wep, that and if im not mistaken for things like having a nintendo DS online it needs wep as it doesnt understand wpa.

as for the hex key, my systems can use anyone of them. hmm
- at least i think they do /runs off to check

Yeah, I was thinking that you might have an older router by mentioning WEP. Sorry I couldn't help, but good luck anyway. I'm sure someone can though.

What kind of router is this? I know that when I had my linksys router, there was a button that you clicked for the default key and usually #1 is the default key you use for all computer's connecting wireless.. I dont believe you use 1-4 as assigned to each computer, but I may be wrong.. But im pretty sure #1 generated key is the default key you type in when accessing your network.

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom