Wireless network HELPPPPPPPPPPPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmytapeworm

Solid State Member
I have recently bought a wireless pci card (an 802.11g) and installed it, I also bought a wireless usb adapter for my other machine. I have run all the instalations and can get my wireless contraptions to see each other in a network. I can not though get them to interact like I can when I have my ethernet lead connected and use the networked computer in that way. Does anyone have any sugestions as to what I am doing wrong.
when I look in network neighbourhood and look at workgroup computers I see just Main in the main computer and 2 in the client computer, (which is what i named each computer). How do I configure this network... I have gone through lots of walkthrough guides but yet have had no success.

Couple things you can try:
1. those cards are new network adapters as Windows sees them. If you are using Xp, the firewall is going to cover those by default. Drop the firewall
2. Make sure both computers are in the same workgroup
3. Make sure both adapters have the same SSID and are on the same channel.
4. Manually assign IP's to both computers. If you do not windows will give them one like 169.254.x.x it's called APIPA (look it up if you want)
5. Go to device manager and make sure there are no conflics with the new devices installed.
6. Please make sure a third party firewall is configured properly!

Well, that aught to get you started

Thanks for prompt reply my friend, I will get ontyo those things now and let you know how I faired.
Thank you again

well I tried all these things, but still i can not get my computers to see each other. they are connecting but they just will not interact with each other. what am i doing that is so wrong. Please please save me from droping my machines from the top floor window.

Dedub gave some very good points. Additional input might be:

1) Making sure your wireless router is configured properly
2) Correct drivers have been installed / setup properly
3) Are you picking up a neighbors connection?

Dedub gave a pretty good troubleshooting ideas. I would follow his list and check to make sure your picking up an address or not. If not, I would double check all of your firewalls. Check hardware and software to make sure you have work equipment or not.

Thank you Matt, I will be sure to keep trying these things. I will either have pulled every solitary hair out of my head by the end of teh week or else the machines will be furnishing the concrete outside. Possibly both. LOL. Thank you again though and I will keep on trying

OK, your next post let us know if you are going through a router or not. If not then what you are attempting is called adhoc. That is where just two computers talk point to point and the software NEEDS to be set up like that. In other words, If your not using XP wireless software and you are using the manfacturers software that came with the card, then in properties somewhere with be a check box or a drop down box that you have to set adhoc and not network.
Above all that I want you to try and ping each other computer by IP address in a cmd prompt. If that works then try and ping the computers by computer name (net bios name). That means that the windows portion is resolving names to IP's.
Try that stuff and let us know if you can ping between computers.

Thanks debub.
I am not using a router and have tried the ad hoc network. I have been able to connect the computers, and they are seeing each other. I just can not share files and access teh interent from my other computer. I did as you quite rightly said set up the ad hoc network. just cant do anything with it. I have nearly lost the will to live now.lol you are my only saviours. I promise to go to church if you can help. loll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom