Wireless network hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_ritchie

Beta member
I have two linksys wirless network g cards. They took some time to set up but I eventually got them working. When I tried to reconfigure the network they complelely mess up.

Now I have the network icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and it has a cross through it. They aren't set up at all. It is as if they aren't on, but they are fully enabled. It is driving me mental. I have even changed my computer with a new one that I made and they network cards still don't talk to each other!

Any advise would help me greatly, thanks in advance.

matt

They were ment to be running in an Ad-Hoc set up when they did work.

What do you think about wireless networks?

Are they actually really easy and I've just had a unlucky time?

Hi

Unfortunately from my limited experience wireless networks can be a little difficult.

I've had problems with wireless range, wireless cards not doing what they say on the box and other incompatability problems.

My advice for what its worth is to keep things simple to start with. Leave all the encryption and fine tune configuration until you have a basic connection. Another useful trick is to configure all machines in the same room. This makes it far easier to fine tune the configuration without running up and down the stairs and guarantees a good wireless signal.

Good luck

Rob

My situation have now improved.

I have managed to get the two cards to "see" each other. The networks name "HOME" is found by both of the cards, but there is still problems.

One of the cards is working at 54mbps and the other is working at 11mbps when they are both ment to be 54. Also they see the network and have reception but they aren't transmitting data.
On the activity section of the network it says that they are sending packet very slowly and not actually recieving any. This is very frustrating as I am close to making it work but it still doesn' t want to. Any help again would be really good

Cheers

Ok,, Lets back up a little here,,

first of all,, to get the proper Perspective,, List all the info on the machines that you are connecting,,,

then list the physical locations,,

then list if you have a cordless phone, microwave, cement walls , or HIGH electrical wiring,,

After this,, Did you set an SSID name, did you enable encryption, Did you choose a common channel, Did you Enable the client filtering,,

Linksys is a good product, wireless setups usually go without issue ,, the manual is very good with visual and text instructions, and the hardware is good quality,,

seems there are things that need to be sorted here, however ,,need the full picture,,

cheers

Ok here is the whole picture

Have have 2 x P.C's
A MESH P.C with
PC Specs:
P4 - 2GHz
Asus P4B Motherboard
GeForce 2 400 64 mb
2 x 256 Mb DDR ram
350 Watt Power Supply
80 GB Hard Drive
52x CD-ROM/CD-RW

Custom build
P4 - 2.8GHz
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
Gainward FX5700 Ulta PowerPack! Ultra/960 128MB
512 MB DDR RAM
450 W Power Supply
120 GB Hard Drive
52 CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Both with Wireless G linksys cards.
One directly 1 floor above the other. The reception is fine as it shows that it has full reception
There is microwaves + cordless phones but I don't think they are a problem as the reception is fine.

I have set the SSID name on both P.C's as "HOME"

Encryption is enabled on both machines

I am not sure if they are on a common channel and i don't know how to check if client configuring.

Are they running in ad-hoc or infrastucture modes?
Anything above 11MBps in ad-hoc is usually not supported even in 802.11g. Some may indicate tat they are running at 54MB but this is a little misleading. But if you running in infrastructure, perhaps this is a different situation.....a horse of a different color even...

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom