Wireless network card question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitokiriNate85

Solid State Member
I'm helping my girlfriend set up a wireless network at her house,(she's getting a MacBook Pro) and I have a question regarding wireless network cards. Does Dell, or any manufacturer for that matter, ship their desktops with wireless cards? I didn't think they did, but I wanted to be sure before I picked up the router and cards(if necessary). The network card model is listed as Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection(this is all the info. I could find). I did a quick search through google to see if I could find out if it was wireless, but it didn't turn up much. Thanks for any info.

You can usually tell by the description of the network card rather its wireless or not. Usually the word “wireless” indicates so and the wireless signal image under the network adaptor in Control Panel/Network Connection. Dell and other manufacture like Gateway, HP, and Sony will include a wireless adaptor depending on the model of their product. Wireless adaptors are usually build-in laptops, the desktop on the other hand, they usually come with an option to have it installed or not.

Look for details that indicate 802.11x, 54Mbps, b/g, wireless, WPA, WEP to tell rather it is a wireless adaptor.

Under Local Area Connection properties there an option to "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network," which is checked. I didn't see any of the things you mentioned, though.

Also, there is an option to run a Wireless Network Setup Wizard under Network Connections. Does that come standard on XP,(Home Edition, SP2) or could that mean that it is a wireless card?

No, not 802.1x, that is authentication protocols (PPP, EAP, etc). Usually appears as an option if you are directly connected to a broadband modem.

I am talking about 802.11x (x being a,b or g like 802.11b or 802.11g)

Yes every XP computer has a wireless wizard rather you have a wireless card or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom