Wireless Network Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

No. If the wireless adapter does not support WPA2 it will not support what the router can. It is jsut like a video card that can only run DX8. Will it work to run DX10? No. Hardware is backwards compatible. Not forward.

WPA2 is newer than WEP. So if the card can only do WEP it can not support WPA or WPA2.

Cheers,
Mak

So what you're saying is that I can't use a wireless adapter that supports 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA with a router that supports up to WPA2-PSK. If the card supports up to WPA, then shouldn't the router be able to do WPA as well? I was uncertain because of the PSK. So, with this setup the best I could do would be WPA correct?

I guess what I am wondering is that if the router can support WPA2-PSK, can't you set it to a lower security level, say WPA-PSK? And then won't the wireless adapter work?

I guess what I am wondering is that if the router can support WPA2-PSK, can't you set it to a lower security level, say WPA-PSK? And then won't the wireless adapter work?

Hello,

Yes. That option would be in the web based interface. If the router can support WEP and WPA2 then you should also have the option for WPA as well. Check the manual for all supported security.

Cheers,
Mak

Alright, so as long as the router can be "turned down" then the adapter would work. Correct? The exact router I'd be using is the following one: Newegg.com - NETGEAR WPN824 IEEE 802.11b/g RangeMax Wireless Router - Wireless Routers

Now, that website says it only goes up to WPA-PSK, but I am certain that I saw on the box that the router is sold in that it goes up to WPA2-PSK.

I was looking at one of the three following wireless adapters to use, but before I buy one, I want to be certain it will work.

The first one

The second one

The third one

Thanks for all your help.

I assume that the router can be toned down to support any of the above mentioned adapters, but like I said, I want to be certain before I buy something. I don't want to get something that's not going to work and then I have to go through the hassle of sending it back, etc.

Hello,

That adapter you linked to the NetGest has WPA not WPA2. It also has WEP. Any of those cards would work as they all support what the router does. The 2nd one has WPA2 but according to the specs of the router it does not.

From what i see it should work no matter what you choose. The router has a option to select which security level you want. As most do. So you can choose what you want and be set.

Cheers,
Mak

Alright thank you. I know the link says that, but I am 95% certain that it says WPA2 when I look on the box, I can double check, but either way, I am glad to hear that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom