Wireless G ever reach 54mbps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominican2589

Baseband Member
I know that all the wireless speeds are theoretical and they hardly ever really reach those speeds in real life but I was wondering, if I have my laptop right next to the router, with nothing in the way, would it ever reach 54mbps?

I have FiOS and have a 25mbps down internet speeds but I am only able to get 22mbps which is about what I get whenever I transfer a file from my laptop to my desktop speeds. I even get that speed when I am right next to the router. I also have WPA2 AES enable, incase that matters for any overhead

check router signal : 802.11bg (2.4Ghz) or 802.11a (5.8Ghz) If you are using a 2.4Ghz Cordless phone and 2.4Ghz Wireless router then your Internet connection speed will slow while you use the cordless phone.

What kind of router do you have?
Adjust the broadcast strength to it's highest possible setting.

Your nic "advanced options" through the drive could have a few settings to help boost it's speed as well.

my router is the one provided by verizon fios but before them i had a linksys wrt54gs and got the same exact speeds so I am not sure if the router is the issue. I do have a cordless phone but during the tests it was not being used.

By default most 'routers' will not come configured to it's optimal settings. I am not familiar with verizon routers but you still may want to try accessing it's configuration settings to be sure.

What NIC do you have? or is that the verizon usb nic?

Click > Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Device Manager

Click plus sign (+) next to Network Adapters

Right Click >Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Click > Properties > Advanced Tab

Find the Trasmit Power and put it to the highest setting.

Then find the power management and uncheck the boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom