wireless filesharing at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
ive been trying to set up a filesharing thingie at home where i can have a shared directory on each computer that is acessible by all others thru wireless
right now i have the internet setup like this:

comcast cable modem hooked up to my router(WGT624) and then to my pc thru a lan cable.
and shared with computers downstairs( laptop and desktop)
mine is XP and laptop is XP desktop is win2000 (its really sony bought in like 98)
i tried to set it up few times but dont have enough network knowlege to do it myself i red guides online but still no luck i do know my way around windows tho.
can someone please assist me in making it work

like a simple (barney style) network setup or whatever

Setting up a network is as easy as changing all your computers' workgroups to the same name and giving each computer a unique name. On Windows 2000 and XP systems, I don't think you'll have to worry about enabling TCP/IP (but Win95/Win98 systems you do). To set your computer's name (I had 2000, but upgraded all of my PC's to XP, so I can only give you how to do it on XP), go to Start -> Control Panel -> System and then select the Computer Name tab. It should have an entry for your computer's name as well as a button that lets you join a workgroup. Click "Change", then enter a name for your computer and then a name for your workgroup.

All computers should have different names, while all computers on your network should have the same workgroup.

For example, I have 7 computers on my home network. I use the workgroup name "Home Network", but have the following:

calc (my upstairs [main] desktop)
calc_laptop (my p3 850 laptop)
calc_desktop (my basement [sempron] desktop)
calc_200 (my Pentium 200 MMX PC)
calc_133 (my Pentium 133 PC which hosts HTTP server)
calc_old_laptop (soon-to-be my old laptop, just got an ethernet port in it)
computer-room (my parents' computer)

I can share files between any of my computers because they use the same Workgroup name. I use a wide variety of OS'es (Windows 95 all the way to Vista as well as Ubuntu Linux on my Athlon, Sempron, and P3 machines).

If you really want to, you can use the Network Setup Wizard in XP, it should make things easier. I used to use it (and it lets you copy it to a floppy disk to use on other non-XP PC's) but now I find it simpler to just set up manually.

so set same workgroup name on all pcs and individual names
do i enable filepriner sharing ?
do i need to set up IP or anything like that on each pc
were do i put the files to share?

lol man as much as i know about windows im a noob with network( never had to deal with one )

To share a folder, right click it and go to Sharing, then select Shared As... and enter a name for it. If you want to enter a password, do so, but if you're on a home network, it's more convenient to not use a password. Select "Allow Network users to change my files" if you want to be able to delete, move, or add files to the folder using a networked computer. If you want to share a printer, then yes, the computer sharing the printer can be set to allow network users to print from that printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom