Wireless distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

worrwhorre

Baseband Member
i currently have a wireless connection going through my house coming from a wireless b router. my dad owns his own mechanic business and his shop is setup behind our house. he wants to be able to wirelessly connect to the internet from the house to the shop. i'd say that the shop is about 500 ft behind my house with some trees in the way.

my question: is there a router that can make that distance with a good connection? if not, what can i do to get the distance?

what wireless router are you using?

because in linksys you can buy an antenna to broaden widen distance.

im using a linksys router. i was planning on buying a linksys wireless g router. how much do the antenna's increase distance?

My suggestion would to just be put the router in the tallest part of the house nearest to his shop, and make sure all you computers in the house still get a signal, then take your computer out to his shop and see if you can pick anything up, other than that you need to buy another router antenna, or get a omnidirectional pringels can amp. Or may I suggest a land line? Cat5 cable is extremely inexpensive if you buy it un ended and put the ends on yourself.

Nickel2388 said:
My suggestion would to just be put the router in the tallest part of the house nearest to his shop, and make sure all you computers in the house still get a signal, then take your computer out to his shop and see if you can pick anything up, other than that you need to buy another router antenna, or get a omnidirectional pringels can amp. Or may I suggest a land line? Cat5 cable is extremely inexpensive if you buy it un ended and put the ends on yourself.

land line would be a hassel to set up. i can try getting a bigger router antenna

If you want to get a good signal at 500ft, I would highly suggest going with one of the new MIMO routers, either the Netgear RangeMax router or the Linksys SRX400. They are both designed to get better much better range and signal strength.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124052

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833150015

As it was stated before, placement is key, place it as close as possible to a window that is pointing towards your dads business. It's easier to get a signal through a window than a wall.

the salesman that sold me my laptop said that wireless G can go as far as 800 FT, and wireless B goes about 400 FT.

The distance of 802.11b is going to be less than a or g, because it is @ 5.0 Ghz, as opposed to 2.4Ghz (I THINK those are the correct specs)... Basically, the waves with the 802.11b limit distance more.... similar to how you can drive in your car, and listen to AM radio stations from a city long after the FM stations are static....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom