Wireless connection isues

Status
Not open for further replies.

coralcrazed

Beta member
Hello all, I am new to tech forums...

I am hoping someone can help me get set up wirelesly... here is what I have.

1. Windows vista 64 bit operating system
2. ISP= optimum online with motorolla sbv5222 modem
3. Linksys router model WRT54G v5 router

IO consider myself comuper savy but in no way a comuter expert. My router's setting is currently set up for my old computer and old DSL service which i have upgraded as above. So I need to get the routers and the modems settings so I can connect all of my wierless hardware to it. i am hopeing that the experts here on this site can be so kind and help me through this connection and settings.

regards,
CC

Is your new service dsl or cable?

You can do a hard reset on your router ad go through the setup wizard again.
Or you can just rerun the wizard.
Default ip of linksys is 192.168.1.1
type that umber ito a internet explorer window to get into your router setup pages.

Is your new service dsl or cable?

You can do a hard reset on your router ad go through the setup wizard again.
Or you can just rerun the wizard.
Default ip of linksys is 192.168.1.1
type that umber ito a internet explorer window to get into your router setup pages.

thanks for your responce... Yes i have cable internet now. I am aware of the linksys default IP... however, i will need step by step instruction from anyone willing to help in order to get the correct settings plugged into my router and/or modem. thanks

No need to change the wireless settings just need to setup for use with cable.

First I would plug the modem straight into your computer for the initial setup. Since it is cable it acts as dhcp and will get set up based upon the wired mac address of your computer. This is a good way to do it because if the router dies you can still access the internet by directly plugging the modem into your cable modem.

Then go into the setup page of your router make sure that the Internet Connection Type is set to Automatic Configuration DHCP, then click the save the settings button at the bottom of the page. After saving the settings, click the sub tab at the very top of the page that says MAC Address Clone. Set it to enable and click the button that will say Clone or Clone your PC's MAC and save the settings again.

Next do a power cycle. Power cycle is done by turning of the router, modem and computer. Leave them off for a minute, tuned them back on in this order. Modem first wait for the lights to stabilize, then the router wait until the power light become solid. Then turn on the computer using the wired connection into the modem to confirm it is working. This will get you online through the router.

After that all of your wireless settings from before will still work fine and you should be able to connect wirelessly.

I want you to know that I am greatful for all of the info so far...

I made all of the connections and setting changes exactly as you suggested and i am in fact able to connect to the internet via my wired desktop with the router connected. Did all of the power cycles also.

now i have a playstation 3 that I would like to connect wirelessly and for some reason it does not pick up my IP address when i do a scan and i get DNS errors. So i manually inputed my IP and DNS primary and secondary, subnet mask, default gateway and ran the scan again and this time it piced up my IP address but still getting DNS errors. I tried so many possabilities by entering manually that I'm dizzy :) do you happen to know what the issue is?

thanks again. i feel I'm almost there. I'll check back tomorrow. Again I appreciate it.

unfortunately I am not familiar with wireless networking of the ps3.

I would run an
ipconfig /all
from a command prompt on one of my working wireless computers to get all the information that one is using. Then use that info on the ps3 only needing to change the ip of the ps3 to one in the same range that is not being used by another computer.

Example:
computer has
ip 192.168.1.105
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.1
dns 85.255.63.15

i would keep everything the same on the ps3 except change ip to something like

Again I am not familiar with the ps3 but the theory has to be the same as a computer.
Does the ps3 have the ability to obtain ip address and dns server automatically from a dhcp server??

Does the ps3 have the ability to obtain ip address and dns server automatically from a dhcp server??

yes and yes... however for some reason when i do an automatic scan it does not pick up DNS or the IP but it will recognise the IP when inputed manually but not the DNS...

I appreciate you taking me this far. i am real close i just need to play with it some more. i put a post on PS3 web site so we'll see if someone there can get me the rest of the way.

i thank you again for all of your help.

No problem. I wish I had a ps3 so I could be of more help with this issue.

Wait send me yours and let me have it and then I will know how to fix it.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom