Wireless Connection on the fritz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
I just set up my wireless connection about a week ago. The first couple of days it was fine, then the router got moved about a foot back on the desk downstairs, and the connection dropped down to 1 mbps or unconnected. I moved it back and it for some reason boosted me back up to 9-12 mbps.

It got moved again, and I moved it back. Yet this time it didnt help.

so I need to know how I can enhance my wireless reception. I have a USB adapter that I am using (I dont think my comp has a built in wireless adapter). I cant really move either the router or the adapter any closer to eachother. It is really obnoxious having a maximum of 1 mbps connection that gets disconnected every 10 seconds.

Have you tried changing the frequency/channel on the router? You could always buy a wireless extender which will amplify the signal between your wireless router and your USB adapter.

Example of one is by Netgear, but there are others.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...extender&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

They are quite expensive for just a simple purpose.

There are other things you can try changing on your router, like the data rate and the mode. If your wireless adapter has any setting in Device Manager, that's one place you can check.

I think it might be ok now. I moved the router to the other end of the desk it was on so that it wasnt in the corner anymore, and that seems to be helping immensely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom