Wireless Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightypurdue22

Beta member
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to wireless internet. I purchased a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g54Mbps) and am waiting to receive it. I also purchased a Netgear WGT624 v3 Wireless Router. I have cable internet service and a cable modem. Can I simply plug in and go, or do I need to purchase an adapter for my notebook to work with the wireless router? My assumption is the internal card in the notebook gives me the wireless connection to the router, but I'm not quite sure.

you will be able to connect no problem. when you start it up, it wil search for a wifi connection and then it will tell you there is one available and then you just connect to it, just make sure its your connection and not your neighbors...

you might want to make a few adjustments to the default router settings...
1> change default admin password
2> restrict wireless access to just your home laptop, PCs... unless your are very friendly to your neighbors
NOT SO CRITICAL
... change SID name
... add WEP security (getting more chanllenging)
... reduce DHCP scope (only allow certain ip addresses to your network)

Be causcious about your Netgear router... I've heard they have tendacies to overheat .. I have v5 and it acts abit funny sometimes.

Good Luck... enjoy wireless.... soooooo cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom