Wireless connected - but no internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfargis

Solid State Member
First post for me. Read a LOT of other posts, but couldn't find one describing my issue.

My laptop connects to my wireless router. I get the "connected" and "excellent signal" affirmations. But when I start up Firefox (and IE) I get the "page not found" message. The router seems to be assigning an IP address to the laptop, but I cannot surf or access email.

Anyone got an idea? I'm afraid I am overlooking something very simple.

Thanks.

I tried the PPOE both ways - on the modem and on the router. Seems to work best on the router.

I should have been clearer - all of my computers that are wired to my home network have excellent connections and no problem accessing the web.

It is only my wireless connection that is the problem. The laptop says I am connected to my wireless network, signal excellent, IP assigned by my router, but cannot surf the web or access email.

Also, from the laptop I cannot ping anything. from any other computer in my home pinging yahoo.com and elsewhere is not an issue.

Still looking for that one little thing that I have overlooked - anyone have any ideas??

check the TCP IP protocols.

some programs like PGP will add more if not properly configurated,so the pc wont know which one to use and you will end up having connection but no webpage will build up.

if that is he case uninstall them all , create 1 new one and restart.

In IE go to tools and click on Internet Options. A window should pop up. Click on the Connections tab and on the bottom of the window should be a Lan Settings button, click that. Make sure there is a check next to Automatically Detect Settings.

The next thing to check is your TCP/IP settings. So head over to your control panel. Open up Network Connections. Since we are dealing with your wireless signal, right click on your Wireless Connection icon and select Properties. In "this connection uses the following items:" scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and single click on it. Make sure its checked! Now select Properties.

There are 4 radio buttons. The ones you want to make sure that are on are: "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server automatically"

Click OK then OK again. Hope this helps! :]

I should add that if my Internet Options – Connections - is set to “dial when network connection is not present” the laptop attempts to dial. So, even though I am “connected” to my wireless network, “the network is not present.”

Makes no sense.

its not supposed to dial if you are connected through wireless. If you go to IE and click on Tools -> Internet Options

Then click on the Connections tab. Click the "Lan Settings" button. make sure "Automatically detect settings" is checked

Make sure you have a DNS server specified (Start > run >"cmd">ipconfig /all should show you the DNS information.) You could still be getting an IP but if you don't have a DNS server you won't get internet service. If DHCP is enabled on the router it should assign one for you automatically. I've had to just reboot the router before and renew the router's IP from the provider to get the DNS all squared away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom