Wireless card worked fine, now it wont detect the connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caraleio

Beta member
Ok ive had wireless internet for about 2 months now. I bought this computer used, and i had them install a wireless card inside of it. Then i went out and bought a wireless router, and put it on my roommates computer upstairs. Now everything was working fine, until the last few days when my card will cut out, and it wont detect the connection upstairs for some reason! I cant for the life of me figure out why. I dont think hes changed any settings on his computer upstairs at all, in fact im almost positive because hes not very computer savvy and he wouldnt know what to do anyway. So i went upstairs yesterday and just reinstalled the router software, and everything was fine after that, i queued some downloads, and then went off to work.

Well a few hours later i came home, and saw a little message at the bottom of the screen saying "wireless connection unavailable". Im like wtf? So i open the connections, and the connection that i use from upstairs of course isnt listed again. What could possibly cause the connection to disappear from my list like that? This morning i had to go upstairs again and reinstall it, and now its fine, but ive had to do this over and over again for the past few days, as whenever i come home its not connected anymore. Can someone please help me? When i get home from work tonight it probably wont be connected anymore, and when my roommates home i dont like to go on his computer, so i might have to wait until tomorrow to see the replies, so post as many options as you can please.

How about you place your computer upstair temporary? See whether the same problem happens? Also try to get latest firmware from router manufacturer website and install it.

Good luck..

Try reinstalling the drivers for your wireless computer. Also try reinstalling any utilities you use to connect to networks (if you use Windows' built in one, skip this).

Try leaving your computer in his room for the day, to see if you may be too far away from the access point. If possible (say, if you have a laptop), try and use your computer on another wireless network (try your local Internet cafe or some other place with public WiFi). Try other devices that use WiFi (PDA's, other computers, iPhone, cell phone, iPod touch, Nintendo DS, PSP, etc) on the access point and see if they keep a connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom