Wireless Cable?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invilink

Baseband Member
i have decided to get cable next year. i currently have 3 computers in my house. the cable will be linked by wires between two computers and wireless with the other. i dont know if this is advicable since i have heard that wireless tends to slow down the connection. any ideas?!?

thanks heaps.

Link.

the connection on the lan is slower (54 mbs) but i still dont recommend it, as most people has connectivity problems. If you can dish out a lot of money on a good wireless system, then go for it. But you would get better performance for cheaper if you get long cables, and pin then along the side of your walls. Thats what i did at my dads house. You can get like 100ft long cables for not too expensive now. My dad got lucky and found some for 10$, lmao.

Hope this helped

yepp

i already thought about that but then because the computers are in diffrent rooms, id have to drill holes into them and stuff. its an interesting idea though. i might re-consider. could you tell me more about this?

Just drill holes and feed the cat5 threw the AC ducts. Works well. The wireless wouldnt slow down your net connection but the wireless signal can take a swan dive if you have thick walls or theres something else like that that can interupt the signal. Wireless is good if you go for a G router with G cards....But wired will always win... why not go gigabit? lol :)

I have a wireless connection, and it was very easy to set up, especially in Windows XP. If you get a wireless router then it makes it very easy. The network took less than an hour to set up. I had no problems whatsoever. I'm using Netgear by the way.

i agree that hardwired is faster with no interference and more secure if configured properly...however...i am running wireless (airport base station which supports 802.11G, although i'm only taking of advantage of 11B because i have an old G3 imac with an airport card). Performance is good for me...running 10 internet windows with itunes, and other multiple windows...plenty fast, but slower than hardwired. If you go wireless...make sure you set your security protocols...at least 128 bit wep if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom