wireless air cards for desktops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atranquildream

Beta member
Here is my question:
I want to get wireless internet on my desktop computer.
I have heard about these Wireless broadbad PC air cards... would one of those work on my desktop for me to get internet on it?

Re:

Hello,

You're probably referring to Wi-Fi, or just simply a Local Wireless Network.

If you're talking about a single device you simply connect to your desktop PC, and you instantly get wireless internet...you probably don't mean that. Though it is possible, but only through satellite internet connections or through use of a mobile phone network provider and a SIM card.

But not to confuse you anyways...you probably mean a wireless networking. If you have broadband, you'll need to establish a Wireless Local Area Network. For that, you need a Wireless Router, and for each PC you want to be part of the network, a Wireless Adaptor.

Here is a diagram illustrating the WLAN setup:

tew452brp1bm.jpg

(...strange
tags not working :confused: )

Anyways...the diagram shows an 802.11g wireless network at home. Basically, 802.11 is a wireless standard, which has different speeds (more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11). 802.11g is capable of speeds up to 54Mbps on the local network. Another type is 802.11b, which supports only up to 11Mbps.

In the centre is a wireless router, which is connected to the Internet. Computers in the house gain access to the Internet, by connecting to the router. They do this through some form of wireless adapter which connects to the router, shown in the image.

In the top left, the notebook connects to the wireless router using a PCMCIA wireless adaptor card (which slots into a special port on a laptop).

The bottom left PC connects to the internet using a USB Wireless Adaptor.

The top right PC connects to the internet using a PCI Wireless Adaptor (which slots inside the PC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom