wireless adapter cant connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxhood

Baseband Member
I have a netgear wireless router that works fine. I have 2 pc's connected directly to ther router and they both get to the internet just fine. Now I have a 3rd pc located upstairs in my house. I connected the wireless g card to it and it can see and connect to the router using the wizard and also shows connected when I go to network connections and check the wireless connection.

Now here is where this drives me nuts.

I run Ipconfig and it pulls a good IP address. The crazy thing is I can not ping the router or anything. Tried ip renew. Now it wont pull an ip address. When I reboot it will pull the normal ip address when behind the router. Not sure what to do on this one. Any suggestions.

By the way All pc's are running on win xp home edition.

hmm, try to make a new network connection, and select the option "this computer connects to the internet via another computer on the network" or something like that.

Just check if you have setup matching encryption type and network keys. Else disable encryption for now and try again. Also consider that you might be too far from the access point, signal might not be strong enough to get through and the AP might drop it if it can't distinguish the bits.

I will try both suggestions. But it can get a signal as it shows connected under the netgear wizard and the signal strength is very good. It's just when I open a browser it just won't find a site. Also it can't connect to the router either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom