Wireless access question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

maltb

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I just recently bought a laptop, I running Linxu Ubuntu 5.10, anyways, my work has highspeed with a wireless network, my buddy brings his laptop to work and on his breaks he uses our works internet with his wireless connection.

My question is, when you use someone elses connection wirelessly, the information being sent and recieved is encrypted using WEP or WPA, but is there anyway that you can be traced that your using someone elses service?

Our work allows the employees to do this, so this doesn't apply to this scenario, I'm just saying in general, if I were to use a wifi spot or wireless signal and use someone elses service, I'd want to make sure I can't be traced or it would be difficult to trace me?

My 2nd question is, when I set up my laptop I originally plugged in my cable modem directly to my laptop during set up so it could detect my network settings at home. If I use someone elses service going wireless, would I still be using the same network connection that was set up during the installation or do I have set up a 2nd network connection for using seperate/different services?

Hopefully some of you's who are more knowledgable can help, thanks!

1St Question:

They can trace you, using sensitive Equipment. "We" can trace anything that is emited. IR, Visible Light, Radio Frequencies, X-Ray, Etc etc.

2Nd Question: You may have to reconfigure it on your computer, depending on what kind of connection it is and what protocols they have in place, but then again using a connection your not authorized to use is illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom