Wired (Vista) and wireless (Windows 7) on same network?

Magnum4c

Baseband Member
I'm sure this has been answered here before, but maybe the search phrase I'm using isn't zeroing in on the relevant threads. So:

We have a PC running Vista 64 that is hard wired, and a laptop using Windows 7 that is using a wireless connection with the same router. I want to share some files from the PC to the laptop, and set up the printer (which is currently hooked up to the PC) so it is shared as well. I'm not sure how to set up a home network with a wired/wireless combination, or maybe it already is and I just don't know it. When I open the Network and Sharing Center on the PC, I see the PC, Network 3, and the Internet. When I open it on the laptop, I see that computer, NETGEaR-mike1, and the Internet. I'm assuming that Network 3 and NETGEaR-mike1 are the same?

I tried using the Easy Transfer Wizard (had to upgrade and install it for Windows 7 on the PC), but the computers don't see each other on the network, so obviously I'm not fully set up correctly.

What I don't understand is, if both computers are connected to the same router, aren't they already part of a home network? On the PC's Network and Sharing Center I see that Network discovery, File sharing, and Password protected sharing are "on", and Public folder, Printer, and Media sharing are off. It looks like it's set up the same on the laptop, except there's an additional setting for 128-bit encryption on it that the PC doesn't show. BTW, does the PC (running Vista) use 128-bit encryption as well, or is it 40 or 56-bit?

Can someone, using plain English, give me a step-by-step for achieving my goal? You would be forever in my debt! :witless:

Thanks! Mike

You need to make sure that both computers are in the same Workgroup. Click on Start, then right-click on Computer and select Properties. Near the bottom of the properties page you'll see the Workgroup listed. The Workgroup can be named WORKGROUP or another name you choose but make sure that both computers use the SAME Workgroup name.

Once the computers are in the same Workgroup, they should be able to see each other but only those items that you have Shared will be accessible on each computer from another computer. If you want to share your documents folder, for instance, you'll need to right-click on the folder and select the "Share with ->" option to set up who you want to share that folder with. The same goes with the printer, you'll need to find the printer in Devices and Printers, go to the Printer Properties page and you'll see a Sharing tab that you can access to setup sharing for the printer.

Don't get sidetracked by the Windows 7 Homegroup as that won't do you any good since only Win 7 & Win 8 computers can see a Homegroup, the Vista machine will not be able to join a Homegroup.

Last edited:
I checked as per Strollin's suggestion, and it appears both computers are in the same Workgroup, which is called "Workgroup". The only difference is the names of the computers themselves....

Since they are both in the same Workgroup, why, when I try to do an Easy File Transfer using the wizard (over our home network), can't the computers communicate with each other? Among other things (such as sharing pictures, etc.) I want to transfer some game setup files from the PC (Vista), to the laptop (Windows 7), and once I've done that I should be able to install the game on that computer, at least in my overly simplified mind.

Note: I could just re-download the game installation files to the laptop, but it's over 8 GB and takes a couple hours to d/l with the lightning fast speeds provided by the "cable giant that shall not be named".

I also set up the printer connected to the PC so it could be shared, but when I went to print a document from the laptop, that printer doesn't show up as an option to print to....only the Microsoft XPS Document Writer appears to be available. Why?

Last edited:
Yes. For example, see my edited post above. But, when I try to use the Easy File Transfer Wizard, the computers don't communicate with each other. That, (again in my overly simplified mind) is the whole issue. I might be able to "share" a file folder full of pictures (I need to try that to confirm), but I can't "transfer" files from one computer to the other....

Have you Shared the folders that contain the files you want to transfer?

This. Make sure the folder(s) are properly shared on the comptuer you want to transfer too. Make sure permissions are set to "Everyone".

Also, try accessing the computer directly over the network. Open up an Explorer window, and in the address bar (where it shows the file path), type in:
\\<computer_name>\

Where <computer_name> is the name of the system. Note the double \'s at the beginning. Press Enter and it should show a window with all of the shared components of that system.

So what I hear you saying is, (remember, you're dealing with someone who's a little slow on the uptake) from the laptop which is named CHERYL-PC, I open up a browser window (we use Firefox) and type in this: \\<michael_pc>\ (the name of the desktop is "michael-pc") and hit enter, and it should show a window with all the computers on the system, right? Nothin' happened....no new window opened. What am I doing wrong?

So what I hear you saying is, (remember, you're dealing with someone who's a little slow on the uptake) from the laptop which is named CHERYL-PC, I open up a browser window (we use Firefox) and type in this: \\<michael_pc>\ (the name of the desktop is "michael-pc") and hit enter, and it should show a window with all the computers on the system, right? Nothin' happened....no new window opened. What am I doing wrong?
You actually want to put it in here... in a File Explorer Window.

Last edited:
Doh! Okay, I tried that from the laptop. I get an error message stating that Windows cannot access \\michael-pc\....there might be a problem with your network yada yada yada. I hit the diagnose button and it says to make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network, which it is. At least it's connected to "a" network....just might not be the same one as the laptop. My brain hurts.....

Go to to the Vista PC (Michael), and verify these settings:
Go to your control panel, find "network connections" or "network and sharing center" (can't exactly remember what Vista calls it), find an option that shows you advanced sharing options, make sure "network discovery" and "file sharing" are ON.

Pictures to help you along the way are attached.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom