Wired networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_bo

Daemon Poster
hiya, i am thinking of puttin a wired network in my house, i already have a Belkin 8 port hub network. But i want network wall sockets in my room so i can plug the rj45 cable into them from my pc and laptop but what cables do i use from the hub to the wall socket? is it cat5. Also does the end of the cable coming from the wall socket to the 8 port hub have to be crimmed with a Rj45 connectors. thanks

The 8 port Hub will be fine for a LAN at your house, but to get internet access, you will need to have a router between the hub & the broadband modem (or a special router that does dial up if no broadband access).

As far as cables, you will want to use Cat 5e or Cat 6... I will recommend 5e since you are using a hub, which doesn't allow full duplex. As far as the connecters, yes, you will need RJ-45 connecters to be crimped on the cable, not sure what else you would do otherwise.... You could POSSIBLY use Cat 3 cable (2 pair phone cable) as long as you get the Tx and Rx right, but it won't work with an RJ-11 connecter, as it is too small, and you might get funny intermittant issues with the cat 3 cable, if it works at all...

a router/modem would be a much better alternative to a switch as etheral said you get internet access

Wel i have done the network, just thought to tell you how i did. the guy never told me that the cbles were already in, however he had an 8-port hub (Belkin) but if im right you can only send dail-up throught the hub. So i got an netgear router modern adsl2 (ready for the new internet generation) and it all worked fine except the two cable which were faulty and he said he will get 2 new cables and connect them his self. It took me roughly 30 mins to do the network and got £40 for doing it:) Not bad hey

No, a hub will work for broadband internet, HOWEVER, you have to either have multiple IP addresses from the ISP (costs more per month) or be performing NAT through a router and then connect the hub to the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom