Wi-Fi Problem

spike47

Baseband Member
Hi

When I first switch on my Laptop there is always a yellow exclamation mark next to the Wi-Fi icon when windows is loaded , I click on the icon and it is telling me that I am online , but off course with a exclamation mark I can not get on the web , what I have to do every time is to restart then the exclamation mark goes and I am able to log onto the web .

spike

What version of WIndows? Brand/model of computer?

Have you tried updating your wifi drivers (not through Device Manager's 'Update drivers' function, but from the wifi manufacturer's site?)?

Hi carnageX

Thanks for your reply , Sorry I should of mentioned I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 on windows 10 .
No , I have only updated via windows updater , will try and find driver from Dell site , allthough I do not know what Wi-Fi card there is in it .
Will come back here what I achieve .

regrads

spike

Hi carnageX

Thanks for your reply , Sorry I should of mentioned I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 on windows 10 .
No , I have only updated via windows updater , will try and find driver from Dell site , allthough I do not know what Wi-Fi card there is in it .
Will come back here what I achieve .

regrads

spike

You can find out which wifi card you have by opening up Device Manager and expanding the Network Devices tree item.

Could be the little spy in your w10 is phoning home and doesn't want you getting on until it makes contact with the mother ship.

Yeah it was meant to be funny. But on a serious note...
Next time right click on the icon and select > open network and sharing center. If you're connected to the router/access point but not to the internet, there should be a red X in the path. Click on the X and a window should open showing it's doping out the problem.
It's going to let you know if the problem is resolved or if not what it found and where to look for help.

Don't hold me to this but I think Dell has a scanner tool to see what's under the hood. I know HP does.

Assumed you were joking, hence the emote.

Most likely just a driver issue, as I know wifi driver issues have been a common occurrence with Win10 since release due to older drivers staying installed on system upgrades, or the wifi card not liking the basic Win10 wifi driver. Getting the latest driver from the actual card manufacturer (rather than the system manufacturer such as Dell/HP) seems to help.

Back
Top Bottom