Where to Hook up Network Printer ??

What's the brand/model of the printer?

If the printer has an ethernet port, then just plug it into the router. There should some sort of configuration option in the printer to then print out or show you what the router gave it as far as an IP address. Once you have the IP, you can add it to any computer on the network from the devices and printers menu.

Before you connect to it though, I would load the drivers for the printer on whatever computer you want to connect to beforehand.

This. Look in the manual to see how to setup the printer to have a static IP address on your network, and then map the printer via that IP through the Add Printer wizard.

Choose "Local" and then create a new TCP/IP port, and type in the local IP address of your printer that you set. It should connect and either prompt you for a driver (download from their website) or Windows Updates should take care of it.

Just looked and it doesn't even have a USB port.

Yes it does. I looked it up.
Flexible connectivity. A built-in Ethernet network interface allows for sharing with multiple users on your network or connect locally to a single computer via its Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interface.
Brother International - - MFC-7360N

Ok, I have the printer working good off the Ethernet directly, now how do I add the PC (right next to it) on to the same (Single) Ethernet feed ?? Currently, that PC is running Wireless.

Not sure what you mean...

Can you ping the printer's IP from the computer that's wireless? If the printer is on the same network, then it should see it.

Open up a command prompt and type in:
ping X.X.X.X

Where X.X.X.X is your printer's IP address.

Why do so many people respond to questions with answered that are not any where close to the question?

To katmandu: you how say you have the printer connected to the either cable from upstairs. Great, how you say that you have another router(?), if so, you can use it has a switch cbut you need to make some changes to its settings.

Plug a cable into the router output port from a computer, then log into the router setups and go to lan settings and disable DHCP.

This will allow the router to ack as a switch and any device that is connected to it will get an IP address from your main router.

Now, after changing the DHCP, leave your computer connected, take the cable from upstairs and connect to any other out put port, DO NOT USE THE WAN PORT.

Take another cable and connect your printer.

Now you should be able to see all devices on your network.

To easyly see devices, I use a program called wspinger. download it and use the scan option and you will see every thing in your network.

Why do so many people respond to questions with answered that are not any where close to the question?

Pretty sure my posts were directed to answering the OP's question... wasn't until halfway through the current post count that we found out the printer had an integrated NIC. Told OP to hook it up to his network and see if he could communicate with it. Then told him how to map said printer via IP on the computer.

Not sure what you mean...

Can you ping the printer's IP.
Yes, that PC is actually also hooked up to the printer directly. I am able see and access it from the other PC as well.

What I'm trying to achieve is have both that PC and printer connected to the network via Ethernet.

I'm showing faster download speeds with the Ethernet (15mbps) vs (10mbps) with the current Wireless connection. Not really a huge deal, but I'd like to get the highest download speed possible.

Last edited:
Katmandu said:
Ok, I have the printer working good off the Ethernet directly, now how do I add the PC (right next to it) on to the same (Single) Ethernet feed ??
Katmandu said:
What I'm trying to achieve is have both that PC and printer connected to the network via Ethernet.
You mean with the same ethernet cable?
Not possible unless you have a switch in that room to receive the signal, and then have that dish out the packets to the PC and Printer (but then you'd need 3 total cables). Easiest way would be to run a second cable to the PC or vice versa.

Last edited:
You mean with the same ethernet cable?
Not possible unless you have a switch in that room to receive the signal, and then have that dish out the packets to the PC and Printer (but then you'd need 3 total cables). Easiest way would be to run a second cable to the PC or vice versa.
Yes, same Ethernet cable.

What about using that spare router to act as a switch to dish out packets ?

Back
Top Bottom