What's your WIRELESS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

urf

Baseband Member
I'd like to start a thread about everyone's wireless setup. If you're set up to wander what exactly are you working with?

What do you think of your current wireless hardware? Is the router ok? Or did you wish you'd gone with a different model?

How have you found your connectivity?

Do you have hosts on the network that aren't your standard laptop/desktop machines?

Has anyone ventured in to streaming wireless media?

Netgear 54mbps Router
- Hawkings 11mbps PCMCIA card in laptop
- 2 PC's hard wired

I get signal in my backyard and up to the street in front. I never walked any further because I had no reason to.

D-Link Router...

Microsoft mn 510 USB
D-link dwl 520 pci
laptop's wirless are built in.

Well I guess I have to list off my entire network kinda.

Cisco 831 - Act's as the internet gateway.

SMC EZ-6516TX - (my network) Core switch, 16 ports, 1.6gbps backplane

D-Link DI-514 - Act's as an access point. Totally shitty for high loads, and will crash under a high load or any routing. Speed is crap, security is shit. This is temporary till I get some cisco Aironet gear.

Random stuff that isnt important to you, like switches and print servers.

PC's

MiLAN ShAir Access MIL-W1897 802.11B wifi card with expandable antenna, it's cool and gets a good range.

Broadcom 802.11G intergrated into laptop. Appears to be a rebagged linksys, works awsome and gets awsome range. I am using linksys drivers for it and have enabled many linksys specific features.

SHAWN said:
Netgear 54mbps Router
- Hawkings 11mbps PCMCIA card in laptop
- 2 PC's hard wired

I get signal in my backyard and up to the street in front. I never walked any further because I had no reason to.

What model Netgear is it? Does the Admin webinterface still suffer from script injection problems and the like?

DJ-CHRIS said:

D-Link DI-514 - Act's as an access point. Totally shitty for high loads, and will crash under a high load or any routing. Speed is crap, security is shit. This is temporary till I get some cisco Aironet gear.

That sounds annoying. When you say the security is shit, are you referring to the weaknesses in WEP or some other area?

Yeah the router is bad at a security level with WEP 128 bit.

However due to it's crappyness, I get another form of security. It's called my axe. The signal doesnt really reach off my property so I can kick anyone's (or so I try) who is using my wifi.

I don't really have too much experience on the wifi front, but from what I've read the weaknesses in WEP are directly proportionate to the length/complexity of the key or password/phrase used. So with a big beefy key you should be cool.

You often catch rogue devices trying to use your AP ?

The problem with WEP is there are packet sniffers people can use to easily figure out your key no matter what it is.

I doubt anyone in my immediate area even knows how to turn on a computer, let alone hack into my wireless system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom