What's wrong?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkrisx

Solid State Member
So I recently installed XP in my computer, replacing the 2000 OS. Everything is working just grand, except for one thing; the computer doesn't seem to be recognizing my wireless PCI card. I have no idea why it doesn't recognize it, since it did when I had Windows 2000. I have tried unplugging ang plugging the card back in again, but it still doesn't recognize it. I even installed the driver and utility, but whenever I double-click on the utility it doesn't even open. I've tried installing it over and over again, but it won't do the trick. It is an SMC2802W 2.4GHz 54 Mbps wireless PCI card from SMC networks. Please someone help me out!

Thanks.

So I researched the specs on the card you are using and in the pdf doc is said it was compatible with XP. So I downloaded their 'multiple OS package' and in the zip file I did not see any files that looked like they were XP. I saw "driver.me" "driver.2k" and "driver.98" listed. So theres a discrepancy there Im not totaly sure if xp supports it or not. Might want to check on that. Also you can go to smc.com and try downloading their latest drivers for that card.

check the device manager to see if any conflicts are occurring. you can also check event viewer for any errors.

there should be a wireless zero config service that maybe trying to takeover your card, which would explain why your utility isn't opening. I think you can set this service to disabled and config your card with the utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom