WEP,WPA damn it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronvongogo

Fully Optimized
Now I can forsee in the future wireless internet becoming mainstream. Seeing as im having trouble setting up my WEP or WPA security i think many people will get thier net connections stolen, such as my sister who didnt no what a desktop was :amazed: and setting up a secure network is difficult, i would have thought ISPs would do more but mine never even set it up he came and left.

Iv tryed setting up WEP and it didnt work i used 128bit and used my phone number as the password it just said connecting for ages. Then WPA was just as bad it wouldnt connect either even when i selected the correct PSK in both router and connection settings, i even allowed MAC addresses.

THE WORLD IS DOOMED! THE AVERAGE FAMILY WILL GET HACKED AND ALL WILL CRUMBLE!

sorry just needed to vent my frustration about wireless security its driving me insane!

Some of the techs that do the initial hookups have no idea on how to configure routers, believe me there. I have had many field techs call me from a job and ask to do just that.

Most of them just have their A+, and are limited to just hooking up the modem, wait for it to hit a return on the signal and they are done.

Occaisonally you get an installer who will walk you through and lock down that connection.

Typically, if you purchase/lease the wireless router through an ISP, they will have a tier 3 department who will walk you through setting up the WEP/WPA. Some require certain data to be entered in for the keys, ie mac addresses, or even serial numbers from the device itself.

This is the reason ISPs here in the US are starting to move to HomePlug technology instead of wireless for home network installations. Their technicians can come out and have a whole house networked, with security, in less than 30 minutes. And the installation is so simple home users really could do it themselves without the technician coming out to their home.

Yes it runs over electrical wiring. What other devices can it interfere with? More likely what you mean is that other devices can interfere with HomePlug. Electrical noise from large appliances turning on and off can interfere with HomePlug and slow it down for a short instant if they are on the same circuit (For example if you were using it in the kitchen and the compressor on the refrigerator kicked on or off). Since it is running over wires instead of through the air, it is much less prone to interference than wireless.

well i think its more of the fact they cant stop the noise affecting other neighbours. i saw a tv program on it but forgot most of what was said lol i just no although it offers fast lines they havnt solved many of the problems with interference. Oh! it can affect radio signals i think so police firemen and just regular radio will become static.

Interesting. Somebody is passing along bad information. The FCC here in the States requires us to undergo strict testing to ensure that those types of things can't happen and we always pass easily. Perhaps someone was just speculating that those things are possible because they use the same frequencies?

well maybe its improved since when i saw the program in about may, I no its mainly for business users so far i think but once it gets into the mainstream population then we`ll no how it`ll affect other signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom