Weird internet problem neep help

Status
Not open for further replies.

meppie

Solid State Member
I recently reformatted my computer and upgraded to windows xp pro from windows xp home. When I started up my computer for the first time after the reformat and then installed all the drivers everything seemed to work fine I even had internet connection. Now for some reason my connection is broken. When I look at the back of my computer to where I plug in the ethernet cable I can see the orange light which shows it has connection except it is flashing instead of solid. When I go start>control panel>network connections I can see the connection flashing from enabled to unplugged. I have uninstalled the device and reinstalled it and it still won't work. I have a broadband connection so I should be able to just plug it in and start correct? I really need to get this problem fixed. Thanks

Are you using the onboard NIC or a pci NIC ? Do you have mulitiple NIC's on the machine ?

Testing the NIC only requires yout to ping 127.0.0.1
If it replies its not broken... If it does not reply, replace the NIC.

Ok, when I put in ipconfig/all it said this:

Host name..............................john
Primary Dns sufix....................
IP routing Enabled..................no
WINS Proxy Enabled...............no

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State............................Media disconnected
Description.............................Nvidia nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address....................00-04-61-79-A1-99

When I typed in ipconfig/renew it said this:

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 3 while it has its media disconnected

It is still not working.

I pinged 127.0.0.1 and I got a reply but I still can't open a web browser.

Do you have a router?

Go into Device manager pull down the network adapter tab. List whats there and if theres an X or a cross over anyone of them.

Like Brady already said, are you using a NIC or onboard?

In Device manager under network adapters it shows

1394 Net Adapter
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

There is no X over any of them.

I am using the gigabit ethernet adapter that came on my motherboard. Yes I am using a router.

Only one of them is enabled. If I disable the 1394 then the NVIDIA one still does not work. When I do vice versa the 1394 says it is connected but I still am not sending or recieving any packets. Or able to connect to a web browser

1394 is firewire...

Have you attempted to "Repair" the connection by going through the properties menu?

Have you reset your router and or Modem?

Your Ipconfig should show your gateway. Since it is not, you should start by resetting your router. Simply unplug for about a minute or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom