Weird intermittent internet problem.. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins21

Solid State Member
I've got a weird internet problem...
I'm running a small network... one machine w/ Starband satelite internet and a few client machines.

Here on the client machine, the internet is horribly unreliable. Many pages, such as ebay, google, and just about any webpage will refuse to load whenever it wishes. If I hit refresh a few times, it will sometimes go. Sometimes the title of the page shows up as Cannot Find Server even when it does load. All the while, Instant Messenger will usually work fine.

Outlook Express has the worst problems, it will say "Finding Host" for a long time and never actually get my email.

The network works fine, as far as I can tell. And, because IM keeps chugging along, I assume the TCP network is fine.

All the while, internet on the host starband machine is fine. I have tried the WinXP system restore to a couple months before when the net was fine, didn't do anything.

Any ideas out there? I am just about out of ideas! Thanks a lot

I'm running Windows XP Pro
2.0ghz celeron 256mb ram 60 gb HD
Machine is free of viruses, adware, spyware, etc

It sounds to me like the fact that you are running Satellite internet. I've heard of this before...

Try getting broadband or dsl.

Satelite worked fine for about 3 years.... this only started a few weeks ago. I'm in Vermont, and DSL is a blessing for those who live in certain random towns, and cable.... what's that??? Someday.... :)

penguins21 said:
Satelite worked fine for about 3 years.... this only started a few weeks ago. I'm in Vermont, and DSL is a blessing for those who live in certain random towns, and cable.... what's that??? Someday.... :)

You might want to hire someone to re-align the dish for better signal.

The signal strength is about 7.00, which is just about perfect..... internet is fine on the satelite machine. the problems is somewhere else...

Have you tried swapping out ethernet cords? Have you moved either machine recently? If you let a cord sit for a long period of time like, oh, let's say 3 years -- the cord will develop a "memory" and moving it could cause you some grief.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom