Wanadoo and network 2nd computer wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnalor

Solid State Member
I have Wanadoo broadband that enables me to have a wireless broadband connection and a pc connected by ethernet card. Both work together fine.

I want to also connect my old Win 98 computer so I can share files printers etc. There is a second ethernet port on the Wanadoo router/modem thing and I have successfully connected an Xbox and that worked OK.

So I installed a Realtech RTL8139/810x family PCI Fast ethernet NIC and connected it to the second port. But for some reason this does not seem to work.

Any ideas how I can debug this and see whats wrong? If I click on Network I can see the NIC listed under configuration.

First, check for the link leds on the network card in the comp and the port on the router. These leds are green when a link has been established. If they are not, you could have a bad cable or either ethernet ports are bad.

Next, open up system properties in control panel and click device manager. Look for your network card. We're checking here to make sure the card is installed and working properly. If you see a exclaimation point inside of a yellow circle, try uninstalling/reinstalling the network card driver. Right click the device, click remove, reboot, pnp should install the driver again. Double check the device in device manager again. If you still see the exclaimation point, try downloading the newest driver from the manufacturer's web site.

Then, click start | run. Type in command and press enter. type in ipconfig /all and press enter. This will show you information about your tcp/ip connection. If you ip address starts with 169 then your machine failed to assign a ip address from your router.

go into your nic card properties as well
right click network neigborhood, properties
right click your connection, properties
add a service, file and printer sharing (i think it's a service...i'm locked out due to being at school and i can't check)

if tha's there, go to another computer and search for the 98 computer name.
to get the name..on the 98 system - right click my computer, properties
click the network identification tab and it's in there.
go to another computer, right click network neighborhood, search for computers, type in the copmuter name of the 98 system...sometimes they just don't come up automatically.

The network card on the PC is showing a yellow/orange light so I assume its not working. The lead is the same I used to connect the xbox so must be ok. The router doesnt have a light so dont know if its ok that end. I would assume its ok as the xbox worked from the same port.

System properties/device manager shows my card and no exclamation mark. ipconfig /all shows 0 ethernet adapter, has the right description, shows a subnet mask, ip address and default gateway address. IP adrerss starts 192.

Is the problem likely to be the new network card?

prolly not. ipconfig /all shows that you are connected to a network. Next, try pinging your router. Start | run, command, ping *router ip*. Your router ip should be the first three octets of your comp ip and one for the last octet. it prolly looks like 192.168.0.1. This will tell us that you can communictae with the router. This should work if you're setup to pull your ip from dhcp; this is usually the default. Next, try pinging www.yahoo.com. this could fail because of dns issues.

ping to router id address failed packets sent 4, received 0 ping transmit failed error code 10050. So what does that mean?

you prolly aren't setup to use dhcp. ipconfig /all should show whether dhcp is enabled or not. if not, goto the network connection properties, open tcpip properties, set to automatically pull addresses from dhcp, click ok, click ok, reboot the pc. try to ping the router again.

I have found some diagnostics on the setup disk. One is Run diagnostics on board and when you run it it seems to carry out two tests 1. I/o register which gives a pass count and is ok and 2. Loopback test which gives a fail count which i assume is not OK.

Trouble is I haven't a clue what all this means?

DHCP is not enabled but I cant find how to change it? This is Windows 98.

OK I have foun and enabled DHCP but on pinging the IP adress I still get error 10050 transmit failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom