virgin media speed upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
ive got virgin media and they've upgraded all there X customers on 4mb to 10mb but when i do a speed test on a website it says less than 6mb and i know that it wikll never be 10mb because of the traffic on the internet and all that so does anyone know why im not getting a higher speed???

Could be your distance away from the major hub. That always effects people. Cause the signal has to transfer further away and that falls into the signal degragation catagory.

Could just be bad luck right now. It is 1PM or so in the UK and could be busy.

Could be your equipement can not handle all the speed.

You're crying because you're only getting 6MB? I am paying for a 1.5MB connection and am happy anough with it. When the phone company upgrades their equipment, I'll be able to move up to a 3MB connection.

Sorry, no sympathy here for anyone only getting 6MB out of 10MB.

:p

its not dun by how far your from the telephone exchange its cable and cable the speed is determined by the fibre optic

its not dun by how far your from the telephone exchange its cable and cable the speed is determined by the fibre optic

Cable and Fibre Optic are 2 different technologies. Cable is limited by how far the cable will go before hitting signal degregation. Fibre is not. Fibre is jsut a beam of light and so far in the USA only Verizon FiOS is Fibre. I have not even heard of a UK Fibre company yet.

So yes you are limited by how far away you are cause you are on Cable not Fibre.

You are not listening to what i am saying. Cable and Fibre are 2 different technologies. You can not say you are using cable and that they use Fibre. It doesnt work that way.

Optical fiber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is fibre optic. It is a beam of light that transfers the signal. It is not the same as cable. It does not use the same hardware as cable. It doesnt use anything that cable does.

So either you are using Fibre. Or you are using cable. Vigin can not be using Fibre to get the signal to yo and you use a cable connection at your house. Just isnt possible.

So which is it? Fibre or Cable?

Yes, as Mak said, fiber and cable are two physically different technologies. Do you get your TV and internet from the same provider? If yes, then you are on cable, and your problem could be attenuation on the line.... Additionally, when you have cable, you are essentially on a node that is shared by all of your neighbors who have the same service. If there are a few people hogging all of the bandwidth, others will suffer. At my old apartment, I had "6.0 Meg cable"... it would be less than 1.5 Meg speeds during peak times in the day, and the full 6.0 Megs at night due to the sharing on the Node....

If you truly have fiber, it would be a fiber optic cable coming into your home, and you would have a gateway of some sort where the signal is moved from optical to the copper.

Might you be able to provide a picture of the device where the fiber terminates at your residence, if you truly have fiber?

Also...... I am thinking this is the scenario..... your residence is fed by copper coaxial cable from the Node, but at the node, it jumps onto fiber to wherever they distribute the services from.... DSL & cable generally operate in this same way. Just because the NODE if fed by fiber (because it is a backbone, and fiber has a MUCH larger bandwidth than copper), you can't say "I have a fiber connection".... If you have a fiber connection to the internet, it is LITERALLY a glass or plastic fiberoptic cable that comes DIRECTLY to your home.

Below, you will see a Fiber NID for Verizon's FIOS service.... You can see the green cable on the upper left is the fiber coming into the NID, and on the mid right, you can see where the data service, POTS service, and hiding in the background is a Coax cable for TV service....

Attachments

• mini-co.jpg
    mini-co.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 104
6mb is more than likely the maximum connection speed in your area, In my area, my Maximum connection speed is 3mb, so think yourself lucky you're getting double my speed, and I pay the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom