Verizon DSL working sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Baseband Member
Verizon DSL working sometimes.

My Aunt has Verizon DSL that was working fine until about a month and a half ago.

Sometimes when she started her computer she could connect and sometimes she could click on IE a few times and get on and sometimes she would have to restart. Also, sometimes if she was off of the computer for a couple of hours she couldn't get on although it was working when she was on earlier.

They sent her a new modem and that didn't help.

She talked to a tech who said it was not in the house and they would send someone out and then called her and said they were able to fix the problem from the office.

Still the same problem.

What should I look for if it's not on Verizon's end?

Also, she is 8 hours away from me but I can use SkyFexFree to see her computer.

what os does your aunt have

I will assume xp

first we need to see if she is pulling an ip and dns address from verizon.

click start
then run
then type cmd
click ok
then type ipconfig /all
hit enter
she will see ip addresses for possibly 2 or more devices
look for the ones for verizon
note the ip address and the dns address , maybe 2

type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx x= ip adress
ping the ip and the dns
she ou you should get a reply and 100% success
if she does , you mave have a broeser hijacker / spyware...etc

i was interested in this so i tried it, now how exactly does one know if you got 100%? all it says is something about 4 packets and 0% loss

jonny_uk said:
i was interested in this so i tried it, now how exactly does one know if you got 100%? all it says is something about 4 packets and 0% loss

Yes, that would indicate 100%, there was no loss.

Also, make sure your aunt is using the filters on all her phone jacks, and try to reinstall the Verizon software. Another thing to do is a full scan for viruses and spyware.

I have been using Verizon for the past 3+ years, and one thing that I have noticed is that the support is normally not too helpful, but they mean well.

My Aunt has XP.

She was going to call another number for tech support that would walk her through a few things to see if they could tell what was going on.

I'll let them do that first and then if I'll try your suggestions. Thanks for the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom