Verizon DSL using wrong connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grober

Solid State Member
My fiance recently decided to updated her video card(odd place for this to start, huh?).

She got a new GeForce 8800 and after some trouble installing it, got it in and working.

Once it was installed the computer wasn't booting properly, figured out it was because of the memory being loose. Fixed that.

Now the problem is that her Verizon DSL is attempting to use an old connection from when she lived in another state, she hasn't used this connection in about 2 years and it just all of a sudden tried to use it again after the video card/memory fiasco.

We tried a few different basic things releaseing/renewing ip, restarting router etc, any suggestions on how to fix this and on if it is somehow related to the new video card?

Any help is greatly appreciated as Verizon and Best Buy keep saying it's the others fault.

Go to network connection then right click on your network and choose properties. look in the properties for internet protocol and hit properties on that. you should have a window with a general tab and alternate configuration tab. make sure each tab has selected obtain Ip and dns automatically and int he 2nd tab obtain automatically private ip. that should help if its selected wrong

On my computer the thing you're talking about is called "Local Area Connection 3" and I can go through all that, but on her computer it doesn't have that. And nothing under the heading of "LAN or High-Speed Internet".

Wish that woulda worked. =/

The computer says the internet is working but no internet-based programs/applications work(including messengers/browsers).

You will probably have to create a new connection manually. Is this connection one that is on all the time or only when you decide to connect to it?

no network connection means u dont have one. it cant be on without a network connection like the one u have. right click on the My computer icon and choose properties, then choose hardware tab then choose device manager. look for a network card under network adapters if there isnt one listed there's your problem. reinstall or refresh the list. you also may have to reinstall the network cards drivers.

no network connection means u dont have one. it cant be on without a network connection like the one u have. right click on the My computer icon and choose properties, then choose hardware tab then choose device manager. look for a network card under network adapters if there isnt one listed there's your problem. reinstall or refresh the list. you also may have to reinstall the network cards drivers.

There is one listed - "1394 Net Adapter"

Alright go to Control Panel -> Network Connections. At the top of the left hand panel you'll see "Create a new connection".

The wizard will open. Select Connect to the internet -> Set up my connection manually -> Connect using a broadband connection that is always on. Then click on finish. Delete your old "local area connection 3" and enable the new one you created if it isn't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom