Using PC as router

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinee

Beta member
Here's the short version, if you need more details, I'll post a more in depth version below it:

Short Version:
I want to convert my LAN port on my PC (WinXP) to become a WAN port for a remote network off of my main network.

Long Version:
Here is the situation. My internet is wireless, and my PC has a wireless card, consequently an internet connection. I want to then use the 1394 port on my PC to connect to a switch and then have a small remote network off of the wireless PC. In this setup, the PC would act as the WAN connection for the switch, and then the connection could be shared with the other PC's.

I hope this is possible, but if it's not that is okay too. Thanks for any input, and feel free to ask questions if you need clarification. Thanks!

Wow, I didn't think it would be that straightfoward. So I understand that whole walkthrough, but what about other systems? What I mean is, only 1 of my other machines is a Windows box. The other PC is a Linux box, and lastly I would like to connect my X-Box for online gaming. Any thoughts on making this work? Thanks!

client compatability is os independant. however, you'll need to tell whatever nodes you wish to configure to pull an address from dhcp.

You'll need to setup samba or the like to be able to implement file & print sharing between linux and windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom