usb or card?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
with the completions of my sons "super-computer" as i call it, my daughter get the hand me down desktop that my son had. the problem is the location of her room vs. his makes it much more difficult to run a Ethernet cable to, so she can access the internet. so my thoughts immediately turn to a wi-fi solution. since i have had no experience with adding wi-fi to a computer, i figured it would just be better to ask, vs make the mistake and buy twice. which is a better solution? a card, or a usb plug in. i have no problem opening the case and installing the card if it is much better. but if its a 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other type of thing, i will just take the easy route, and buy a usb device.

A PCI or PCI-E card would be better since they usually have external antennas.

i found several usb wi-fi cards that have an external antenna. one actually has 2 of them. and there is even one that is fed by a usb cable, that sits on your desk with a pair of antennas.

Depends on how much usb/ PCI-e space you have... I would go with a PCI-e card as it is more secure and less likely to damage by being knocked or pushed on as it will stick out alot further.

your call

Last edited:
being knocked around is something i kad not considered. thanks! my computer sits very solidly in a snug space, and it can not move much. but with a kid, ANYTHING is posible.

Back
Top Bottom