urgent help please.. network setup wizard not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
hi

i need to setup a dial up account using an internal PCI dial modem..

i've just reformatted the PC, XP Sp2 OS.. installed all the drivers.. INCLUDING THE MODEM driver.. though i am not sure it's the correct driver for the modem, but it did install properly, and no errors.. i tested the modem using QUERY MODEM option in the device drivers, and it's ok....

but when i go to the Network Setup Wizard, it tells me that i need to setup a network device first (lan,modem,etc etc)... :(

But i have a modem installed. :(

Go to device manager and make sure you have the driver for the modem installed properly. If so then go to network connections and create a new connection; I forget the exact steps but it's pretty self explaining.

hmm. can't believe i totally lost this.. hehehe.. i kept trying to make internet dial up connections using Network Setup Wizard. lol.. forgot about create new connection option.. i feel so dumb.. done this over a hundred times already.. hehehe

A modem allows you to connect to the Internet which is actually something different to what the Network Setup "Wizard" does. What you need to do is go to Network Connections (in Control Panel) and find "Create New Connection". Follow the intructions for "Create an internet connection" then specify the name of your ISP and then you will need the access phone number, your username and the password. Stick them in and then hopefully it will dial up, access and you will be away... To be honest as an aside, with todays prices i would *stongly* recommend you look in to Broadband. Unless you are stuck in a hut half way up a mountain, you should be able to get it now.

yeah, you can get fastaccess® DSL for 10 bucks a month, even if you can't get broadband get satelite!

hehehe.. thanks guys. :) but this is not for me personally. it's for a client.. i do have DSL myself... but yes, i will echo your suggestions to him

thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom