Unable to find the default WEP key on my router.

Stormcloud

Beta member
My problem began yesterday. I pushed the little reset button on my router with a paper clip because I didn't know my network gateway username and password. My original goal was to open my port so I could host a minecraft server with my buddies.
When I reset the router, it reset my WEP key for my wireless, obviously. I got into the network gateway, but The problem is that the default WEP key is not what it should be.

My Router model is a Netopia 2247nwg-vgx. I looked on the internet for the default WEP key for my router model. One post said that Netopia routers use the six digit serial number for the router as the default WEP key. Conflicting information: The WEP key can only be five or thirteen digits long and the serial number on my router is eight digits long. I have tried using admin, 12345, I've tried the model number, all the numbers on the bottom of my router, and I don't know what else to do without completely re-configuring my router. Any advice is much appreciated.

P.S. I can connect to my router via ethernet cable which is how I am connected now

Last edited:
Plug into the router via Ethernet.
Open up a web browser and type in: 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your default gateway is for your router).
Login to the router with the default username/password (this is probably the information you saw when you were trying to look up what your default key was).
Should be able to find the WEP key on the wireless security page.

Also, just to note, WEP is VERY insecure and I would recommend bumping it up to at least WPA or WPA2 if your router supports it. WEP is easily crackable; there's even simple utilities online that can crack WEP keys within short amounts of time.

I can log into the gateway but it doesn't have any options regarding the wireless network security. the only security options it has are changing the gateway password, firewall settings, IPSec config, stateful inspection settings, packet filter settings, and security log. Also, my gateway page looks entirely different other people's screenshots of their netopia gateway page that I found online. I'm guessing netopia changed their website since they took the screenshot but they have been unhelpful.

Would probably be easier to just reconfigure your router honestly.

Were you looking on the right pages for your key btw?

I looked on every page possible on the gateway and there is no option for changing your network key. I also looked at several different websites that told me my router model's usual default key and all tries have failed. I think we had this same problem when we were first installing the router and the local service provider representative that hooked it up for us had to reconfigure it so i think that is what i will do. Thanks for the help!

Glad you got it figured out and thanks for posting your solution; could help others who come across the thread.

Back
Top Bottom