Unable to connect - via WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl00dy

Beta member
Hello!

First, im using

-PLANET USB WLAN Stick WL-U356L.
- The router which is causing my headache is ThomsonST780 - SpeedTouch.
- OS is Windows 7 32bit

So here goes the problem - I connect normally to the router with my wifi stick - its around 50-60% signal. Im on internet - everything's fine. But suddenly it just: 1. Disconnects me. 2. Says - No Internet Access (I cant go to internet nor access the router configuration) - basically disconnected. I try to connect again and then it says "Unable to connect"
For absolutely no reason. It keeps saying unable to connect for 5 mins - 10 mins - 20 mins - 30minutes. Completely random! And then suddenly I can connect again.

What I noted is that - When I survey via Win7 default connection panel - after my problem occured - after it says unable to connect the router disappears for lets say 5-10 secs and then i can see it again but same problem - cant connect for random time.

What I tried so far is:

Updating my Windows
Tried it on XP via WiFi - same it wont connect (just on XP it says that connection is no longer in range)
Changed the channel on which router works
Tried connecting with my integrated wifi card in laptop - same thing.

Please guys its very important for me to fix this so if you could help me! Thanks :silly:

SOunds like your router is causing the problem, could be going out. Replace the router or borrow one from a friend and see if the issue persists.

You have the settings correct otherwise you couldn't connect. The only other option would be the lease time on your IP's, but if the time's are random then this isn't the issue.

Replace the router.

SOunds like your router is causing the problem, could be going out. Replace the router or borrow one from a friend and see if the issue persists.

You have the settings correct otherwise you couldn't connect. The only other option would be the lease time on your IP's, but if the time's are random then this isn't the issue.

Replace the router.

**** cant get a new router :/

The router would be a good bet. I would open a constant ping to the router by typing in "ping 'address of router' -t" without the quotes. See what that gives you. I would do this while hardwired first and you might be able to zero in on the problem that way.

It is still a possibility that it's the wireless usb key you have, however my bets would as well be on the router.

The router would be a good bet. I would open a constant ping to the router by typing in "ping 'address of router' -t" without the quotes. See what that gives you. I would do this while hardwired first and you might be able to zero in on the problem that way.

It is still a possibility that it's the wireless usb key you have, however my bets would as well be on the router.

Im connected at the moment to it (i couldnt connect for past 25 minutes tho ._.)

Anyway when i ping it i get

"Reply from 192.168.5.1 bytes= 32 TTL=64"

means anything...?

edit - i tried pinging when it disconnected me again and it keeps saying request timed out, now.

I would try to hardwire into your router first. If you keep getting dropped then, I would look to finding a new router. You could also look into flashing your routers firmware. May be some sort of bug in the firmware.

If you do not keep getting dropped, I would look to getting a new wireless card.

You won't be able to ping your router if you are not connected. Your computer does not know where to send the packets without a default gateway, which you are not connected to.

Im connected at the moment to it (i couldnt connect for past 25 minutes tho ._.)

Anyway when i ping it i get

"Reply from 192.168.5.1 bytes= 32 TTL=64"

means anything...?

edit - i tried pinging when it disconnected me again and it keeps saying request timed out, now.

That is a normal ping, but it would need to be compared to the other pings in your constant ping. If any lines come back with an extremely high latency or failure to receive a reply at all, that is the signal drop you are looking for.

That router in my past experiences has been known to cause issues. I would get a reliable linksys WRT or comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom