unable to connect to own network

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRecluse

In Runtime
i feel stupid.. i just got my wireless router and laptop today... i'm trying to get on the internet with it. i can't seen to connect to my own router, even though i've tried many times.

i am able to connect to someone elses network that live close by, because they don't have it secured. i just don't understand how i can't connect to my own network by the same means i connected to theirs.

it's a netgear router if that makes any difference

Gotta make sure your labtop is trying to connect to the same Default gateway/ subnet mask/ and DNS server that your WAP is. find that On your WAP, then you configure it manually through windows TCP/IP properties box.

It seems you set up wep encription? When you ran through the setup did you give a 10 letter or number password? when you see the wireless network does it say secure connection? if so you need to put the wep encryption key in on your laptop before you can connect.

If MAC filtering is enabled on your router then you have to either turn it off or allow your laptop's MAC address.

ok... i disabled the WEP encryption on it and i'm able to connect to the network, or so it says.. but i'm unable to view my wired pc or access the internet

edit: problem resolved... a friend walked me through it.

i was entering the passcode instead of the security key... silly me. everything works now, ty for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom