System Requirements for VNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
I was thinking of setting up a computer in a back bedroom in our house. Because the room would eventually be used as a rec room, it would be nice if the computer could play back some video and record TV.

The only problem is, the only computer I can put back there that has the possibility of being networked is an old Pentium 133.

I was planning on using VNC to have the old computer control one of our "newer" ones. Would RealVNC (link) run acceptably on a Pentium 133 and Pentium 3 866? Could I use this to view videos on the old computer? Would I need anything special?

And slightly off topic, if I use the tuner, can I record things to another computer's hard drive if i set up networking?

trekkie00 said:
Would RealVNC (link) run acceptably on a Pentium 133 and Pentium 3 866? Could I use this to view videos on the old computer? Would I need anything special?

Are we talking about Windows? I'll assume so.....
As long as the computer running the server can run Windows 98, yes but the performance will be very choppy.
As for viewing the videos, you aren't going to get any sort of spectacular quality from VNC when viewing the video. It's graphics intent as it is and performs better and better as the level of the video is decreased.

trekkie00 said:
And slightly off topic, if I use the tuner, can I record things to another computer's hard drive if i set up networking?

Depends on the tuner/recorder, but in most cases, you can map a network drive letter to the computer running the software and then just choose that drive letter and path when choosing a save location.

For that 133 pentium, if you are going to USE that PC to record shows, you would MOST DEF. want a TV tuner card with a HARDWARE MPEG encoder.... Hauppage is a good example. The hardware on the card does a vast majority of the work when recording, and wouldn't stress out that little 133.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom