Switch with Uplink Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
There's a verizon router upstairs that my drop cable that comes out of the ceiling is ran to. (We have FIOS) I can't run another router into the line, so I'm wondering if I get a switch with an uplink port, would it work?

Newegg.com - LINKSYS EZXS88W 10/100Mbps Switch 8 x 10/100 RJ-45 Port 1 x Shared RJ-45 Uplink Port - Switches

This is what I'm thinking about. I haven't seen a switch with an "uplink" port before and I'm wondering if this is what I'm indeed looking for. Will this allow the computers connected to the switch to communicate with the router upstairs?

As long as you have a router in place any switch or hub stick with the switch will work for you. Linksys is the best!

I guess I need to rephrase the question. If the switch's uplink port is connected to the router, will computers connected to the other 10/100 ports be able to communicate with the router and ultimately the internet?

You are correct with that statement as long as the router is connected to the up link port on the switch all the computers should be able to get on the internet just make sure DHCP is enabled on the router or you will have to static set IP addressed.

The router connects to the internet via the wan port and let the router be the DHCP
Connect the other pc's to it's 4 port switch. If you have mre and need to add another the latest models to need uplink ports anymore. So just connect it.

Rick

Actually I discovered that we were all wrong. Routers/WAN Links need to be connected to the first port, port 1. The Uplink Port and the one beside it, ports 8 and 9 (they are linked) are designed to be connected to other switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom