SP2 networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

icewizard2k4

Baseband Member
hi, i was wondering if all machines on a network need to have sp2 installed in order to communicate?

i'm currently running a network of 4 machines on xp pro sp1 but if one machine has sp2 it cant detect any connection whatsoever. is this simply the windows firewall that i need to "setup"

is there a way to manually open ports against sp2s restriction?

My suggestion would be go to security center and check off the firewall on the connection. It lets down security, but you know your priorities.

If that doesn't work, check protocols. Then check the services.msc for Computer browser, server, SSDP Discovery, and UPNP.

alrite thx i'll check that out.

its stupid though becuase these machines are already sharing internet and files but as soon as sp2 goes on its all undetectable.
what kind of crap is that??

icewizard2k4 said:
alrite thx i'll check that out.

its stupid though becuase these machines are already sharing internet and files but as soon as sp2 goes on its all undetectable.
what kind of crap is that??

This is because by default Windows XP Service pack 2 turns on the firewall. The firewall is blocking the connection. I too would reccomend disabling the firewall as mentioned. That is the first thing I do on all my clients PC's after a service pack 2 install as we have our own hardware firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom