Someone Please Help I Need This Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzyd572

Beta member
Hi everyone, I thought someone out there could help me or point me in the right direction because many of you seem well versed in computers. I know quite a bit myself, but not a whole lot about networking. Here is my situation

I go to a boarding school that shuts off their internet after 11 pm. Sometimes i really need it afterwards, and i was wondering if there was a way to do this. Im pretty sure that there is because the seniors use to do it last year. I think its just a basic firewall setting but not exactly sure.

heres some information that might help
-the school leaves a port open so you can access your email which is on a server
-i can figure out which port this is using a program i downloaded off download.com
-access to the server for mail never goes down, but one must get your mail using firstclass client

anyone with any ideas or programs that can help me get on the internet after its shuts off would be sincerely appreciated

ps i am offering 2 Gmail accounts to anyone that can help me with this if that provides any incentive to share your knowledge

happy holidays

2nd semester begins soon, i hope i can find something by then...

heh, pay off one of the techs at the school to allow you access. otherwise id say you're screwed. whats prolly happening here is that they're pointing you to a proxy server which is set to disallow access after 11pm.

I have seen implementations where you could remove the proxy setting and still have the inet connection, but i've also seen this not work. open ie, click tools | Internet Options, click connections tab, click lan settings, uncheck use a proxy. ok, ok, close and reopen ie. Cross your fingers and pray to the computer gods.

you could buy another inet connection and setup your own proxy server, but the problem would be getting the connection in the school without ne1 noticing.

First off, theres always some dorm-esk person seeking help sneaking threw some ones elses network. If you do need the proxy up after 11 talk to an admin/professure/head-dean. Or are you just trying to sneak an ftp server on there OCx connection. What you could try is maybe tunneling al your http trafic threw the mail port (pop 110), but Im thinking they probibly host the mail server in house. So the best thing to do would be to TALK TO SOME ONE! its simple. hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom